Dead Or Alive

Courtney DiLaurentis walked through the bushes and into her yard. But just as she was about to open the front door to her house, her skin prickled. It felt like there was someone standing behind her, watching, but when she turned, the street was empty. She narrowed her eyes at the Cavanaughs' house across the street. The blinds were drawn. No lights were on.

Something fluttered out of the doorjamb and fell to her feet. She bent down, picked it up, and frowned at the Polaroid photo before her. It was the picture she'd taken of herself and Ian at Romeo and Juliet a few weeks before. Only now there was red-lipsticked writing over her and Ian's smiling faces. Ali drew in a breath as she read the message, then looked around once more.

"Hello?" she said quietly, her voice cracking. "Ali?" No answer.

Swallowing hard, she looked down at the message once more. You're dead, bitch, it said, in handwriting that looked eerily like her sister's.

Suddenly, a sound made her jump and turn to face the direction of her backyard. A chill ran up her spine.

It was a scream.

-

Chloe DiLaurentis stood directly behind Ali as she stood in front of the window of the Cavanaugh's house. The house was dark without a single light on. Chloe could see the outline of Ali's hooded body.

"Courtney," Chloe said.

Ali jumped and whirled around. A startled look appeared on her face. "Chloe?" Her face paled. "What are you doing here?"

"I was outside playing in the backyard. I ran into the woods and played there for a while. Then I saw you. I followed you here, and I wanted to see if you knew I was there."

Ali smiled and took Chloe's hands. "Come on, Chloe. I'll take you home."

Ali led Chloe out of the Cavanaugh's patio door, and they began walking to their house. Chloe tugged on Ali's hand and pulled her into the backyard.

"Chloe," Ali said.

"Let's play, Courtney," Chloe said.

They ran through the shrubs that separated their property from the Hastingses' and stopped near the half-dug hole in the backyard.

Ali put her hands out in front of her. "Chloe, wait."

Chloe looked at Ali, feigning confusion. "What's wrong, Courtney?"

Ali dropped to her knees and grabbed Chloe's hands. "Please sit down."

Chloe sat down in front of Ali. Ali's face was covered partially by the hood of her black hooded sweatshirt.

"Chloe, I..."

Chloe pushed Ali hard.

Ali screamed out, and Chloe watched as Ali fell backwards into the hole.

-

Alison DiLaurentis stood in front of the Cavanaugh's front window, waiting for Courtney to leave Spencer's house.

"Courtney," said a voice.

Ali jumped and whipped around, her gaze falling onto a small, childlike figure. It was Chloe. The breath left Ali's lungs. Her heart began to pound.

"Chloe? What are you doing here?"

"I was outside playing in the backyard. I ran into the woods and played there for a while. Then I saw you. I followed you here, and I wanted to see if you knew I was there."

Ali smiled and took Chloe's hands, not wanting Chloe to know how nervous she was. "Come on, Chloe. I'll take you home."

Ali led Chloe out of the Cavanaugh's patio door, and they began walking to their house. Chloe tugged on Ali's hand and pulled her into the backyard.

"Chloe," Ali said, trying to plant her feet on the grass only to be pulled along by Chloe.

"Let's play, Courtney," Chloe said.

They ran through the shrubs that separated their property from the Hastingses' and stopped near the half-dug hole in the backyard.

Ali put her hands out in front of her. "Chloe, wait."

Chloe looked at Ali, feigning confusion. "What's wrong, Courtney?"

Ali dropped to her knees and grabbed Chloe's hands. "Please sit down."

Chloe sat down in front of Ali and gave her a stone-faced expression. Ali could feel the wet dew from the grass sink into her jeans. Her face was covered partially by the hood of her black hooded sweatshirt.

"Chloe, I..."

Chloe pushed Ali hard.

Ali screamed out, and Chloe watched as Ali fell backwards into the hole.

"I'm Ali," Ali said. Except it was in her head. She couldn't move or speak.

"Help! Please!" she screamed. Once again, it was only in her head.

No one appeared above the hole. She was alone.

And she was dying.

A half a minute went by.

Then Ali took her last breath and let go.

-

Ali's body was found later that day by construction workers who'd been working on the gazebo in the DiLaurentises' backyard. Her death was ruled as accidental. Everyone concluded that she snuck of the Preserve at Addison-Stevens to watch Courtney and Chloe. And Chloe told Courtney that Ali must have tripped and fallen into the hole. Courtney agreed, and that was it.

Ali was dead.

And Courtney and Chloe were alive.