Chapter Nineteen

I WOULD JUST LIKE TO SAY THAT THIS IS A WORK OF FICTION. I AM NOT A LAWYER (yet) SO IF THERE ARE SOME THINGS THAT ARE NOT LEGALLY CORRECT PLEASE DON'T HATE ME!

TW: PANIC ATTACK AND CHILD ABUSE

Alexis Monpettit

Walking into my apartment I inhale deeply taking in the familiar scent that I've missed over the past four days. Home. Paris was beyond anything that I could have dreamed of, but the comfort of my apartment is something that I will always welcome with open arms.

Harry had to go straight to London from Paris, he said that he had meetings to finalize the upcoming album, something about adding new songs that he's written and thought would fit better. He won't tell me anything about the songs I haven't heard yet, no matter how long I begged him.

He told me that I would be the first to hear the album when it is all put together and that my opinion on it will determine when he releases it.

The thought that the person that I'm "together" with is going to release an album filled with songs that relate to me has been running on a loop in my head since I left Harry at the airport. He constantly reassures me that no one will ever find out the songs are about me, but the pit in my stomach has only grown since he kissed me goodbye.

It's weird to be separated from Harry after spending so much time together this past week. We spent almost every minute together in Paris. Every morning I opened my eyes, I had a smile on my face at the realization that Harry was by my side.

He makes wanting to be alive easy- I don't remember the last time I have been this content with my life. I don't dread the thought of getting out of bed when he's beside me or having to smoke a joint because the voices in my head are too loud. He's been my cure. He's helped revived my lifeless soul.

Life is a dream; the nightmares have gone away.

For so long, I didn't think I had a purpose in this world. I thought that life was just about surviving day by day and dealing with the suffering that comes from that. But Harry, oh Harry, he makes life worth living again. I've convinced myself that his smile could light up the darkest skies, and his laugh could put a church choir to shame. He's quite perfect in every sense of the word.

Leaving my suitcases near the front door, I walk over, placing the mail I picked up on my way in on the kitchen counter. Flipping through the envelopes I realize that I have to pay rent for next month and a few more bills before coming across a large envelope with the word CONFIDENTIAL written across the top followed by my name and address.

I set the other pieces of mail down on the countertop before flipping the envelope and ripping it open. I pull out the pieces of paper that have been stapled together before reading the letter.

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
for the
Rivera
v.
Monpettit

SUBPOENA TO APPEAR AND TESTIFY AT A HEARING OR TRIAL IN A CIVIL ACTION
To: ALEXIS ROSE MONPETTIT

YOU ARE COMMANDED to appear in the United States district court at the time, date, and place set forth below to testify at a hearing or trial in this civil action. When you arrive, you must remain at the court until the judge or a court official allows you to leave.

Place: New Bedford District Court
Date and Time: August 6th, 2019. 11:30 AM.

The words turn blurry as my eyes fill with tears, and a breath gets stuck in my throat causing me to choke. My empty hand flies up to my throat as I try to fill my lungs. My knees buckle as I fall to the floor, a sob escaping from my lips.