Episode 1: Unwelcome Guests - Part 1

"Is my mommy and the baby okay?" The young boy's eyes watered, tears on the verge of spilling.

Marie Suiza leaned down, kissed his forehead and tucked the blanket around him, careful not to disturb her own sleeping son. "Xander, your mommy will be fine. Your daddy is with her, so is Mrs. Jans."

"But they're not doctors. Babies need doctors."

"Your mommy will be fine. Many babies are born without doctors."

"Really?"

"Really. Mrs. Jans knows what to do. She helped with my Oscar. I'm fine, he's fine."

The boy looked over at the other child in the bed. "He snores."

Marie laughed softly. "Go to sleep, Xander. Tomorrow I'll take you home to see your mother and your baby brother."

The boy yawned. "Daddy said they'd name him Jamuson."

"A strong name for a strong baby." Marie went to the bedroom door and dimmed the lights, leaving a pale green glow in case the boys woke up in the middle of the night. "Good night, Xander," she said and closed the door behind her.

"Get him settled?" Reuben leaned against the wall, waiting.

"He's worried. But he's only six, it's okay to be worried."

Reuben took his wife's hand. "Yes. It is okay."

"Emese is strong. It's been a good pregnancy. She'll come through fine. I hope."

"We're colonists, uncertainties are part of our life."

"I know, but..."

"Emese will be fine. There's always a risk where there's to be a reward." Reuben sneaked a quick pat to Marie's behind.

"Reuben!" Marie pursed her lips at him, then smiled.

He shrugged. "A risk." Sweeping a giggling Marie into his thick arms, he walked toward the stairs to the second floor and their own bedroom. "Now about the reward."

The light panels in the house flickered and dimmed. Reuben sighed and put Marie down. "Blasted lizards probably chewing through the wiring again."

Marie echoed her husband's sigh. "I really don't like the wildlife on this planet. Bunch of nasty little bugs and nasty little lizards."

"Could be worse. But, hey, we don't need light right away..." Reuben goosed Marie, making her jump, "do we?"

Again the lights flickered. This time they didn't stop.

"No, but the boys do," said Marie. "You should probably go out and fix it before it gets worse."

Rolling his eyes into a playful pout Reuben nodded. "I'm taking the rifle. Those little creeps are gonna fry for ruining the night."

"Be quick," said Marie. She goosed Reuben as he turned to go. "The night's not ruined yet."

"Yes, ma'am," he said, walking away.

"I'll check the boys," Marie said.

She stepped quietly to the bedroom door. Cracking it open, she heard a strange chittering sound.

She flung the door open. The flickering lights cast a wavering column of light on a large black hole in the concrete floor where the bed should have been.

"Reuben!"

She frantically searched for the boys. "Oscar! Xander!"

Reuben bolted through the doorway, rifle in hand, and stopped short of the hole. "What the-" He swiped on the lights. Xander lay curled in a ball in the corner of the room, whimpering. Marie rushed to Xander, and clutched him in her arms and searched the corner.

"Where's Oscar?"

"The lights. I g-g-got scared," Xander choked between sobs, "I wanted to find you-"

"Where's Oscar?" Marie shook the boy.

Trembling, Xander pointed to the hole behind Marie.

"I see the bed," yelled Reuben, "Get Xander out of here. I'm going down." Reuben knelt next to the hole. "Oscar! Daddy's coming."

Chittering sounded from the hole. A mass of legs and spines jumped out, knocking the rifle from Reuben's grasp. Pincer like fangs coming from a multi-eyed head sunk into Reuben's chest. He shuddered, coughing blood.

A scream tore from Marie's throat. She snatched the rifle, firing heated blasts into the body of the giant spider. It reared back, and squealed, purple fluid pumping out from its wounds.

Three more spiders erupted from the hole. Marie kept shooting. Screaming. Shooting.

The spider on Reuben collapsed back into the hole. Two of the others latched on to Reuben, retreating with him in tow.

The third spider charged Marie. She backed toward the far wall and fired the rifle as fast as it would cycle-the barrel glowing hot. The last two rounds blasted half the spider's head off. Reduced to a quivering heap, the spider collapsed on top of Marie. She screamed as the spikes on its carapace pierced into her body.

In it's death throes the spider dragged Marie toward the hole.

She couldn't lift it off. Sliding over the precipice, Marie kicked hard. The spikes tore free and the spider fell. But she kept sliding on the blood-slickened concrete. Desperate, she grasped at the floor-at anything until one hand clasped the glowing hot barrel of the rifle. Her eyes widened at the searing pain, but she refused to let go. At the other end of the rifle, Xander tugged with all his tiny might.

Marie gripped the barrel with both hands. "Pull, Xander!"

He grunted and fell on his butt, his bare feet slipped out from under him. He backpedaled with both feet in an effort to scooch backward. Out-weighed and slathered in purple spider blood, he managed to hold his ground.

She forced a smile for him. "Good job, Xander. You can do it." Pain lanced through her leg as another spider barbed her from below and tugged. Her smile morphed to a snarl then a roar as she released the rifle so the spider couldn't take little Xander down with her.

She landed on her back. Oscar's broken, empty bed cushioned the fall. Flickering lights above her highlighted a small silhouette holding a rifle. "Run, Xander!" She screamed as the spider pulled her down a tunnel and into darkness.