Episode 3: Damaged Hands - Part 2.5

Ten minutes later my father, Reese, Dass, and Call drove away in the cultivator. I watched the lights from the quiet machine fade around the corner of the canyon wall from my bedroom window. Someone walked around in the shadows, away from the house, probably Knox or Scio off to gather their family.

Before he left, my father gave me the task to gather everyone at the meeting hall until he returned. "It's the most secure location we have," he'd said.

"Except for lunatic Roi the Spider Boy locked in the storeroom."

"Roi?"

"Oh yeah. I forgot to tell you. That's his name. At least he said so."

"Interesting. When I get back, I'll want to know more."

"Whatever. So you want us all locked up with Roi?"

"He won't be a threat unless you provoke him. Maybe you can get some more answers from him while we are gone. But most of all, watch over your mother and the others. I am leaving them in your hands."

All of a sudden my hands seemed very small and incapable. "Not for long. You will be back with Jamus in the morning. Right?"

"You are strong young man, Xander. A fine young man. I love you." He climbed into the cultivator cabin with Dass, shut the door, and left.

Compliments from your father are nice, except when they are used to avoid answering a difficult question.

I wanted to give Marigold as much time to sleep as possible. I grabbed a spare blanket and pillow, and left a note for Marigold telling her I'd be back after I gathered the others just in case she woke up within the next hour. Bathed in the purple moonlight filtering in through the window, Marigold looked so beautiful. I left her with a kiss on the forehead. She didn't even stir. Shutting the door behind me, I caught a quick glimpse of the melted down rifle hanging on the wall.

"Blight," I muttered, "things really have gone to crap."