Episode 3: Damaged Hands - Part 2

Sam Jans was dead.

No. Sam Jans was murdered. By the Thurns.

"We can't stay here!" Marigold pushed me toward the door, smearing blood from her wounded hands on my clima-jacket.

"Young lady," Mom said from the table, "you aren't going anywhere. Come here so we can clean your hands."

"Mom's right." I pulled her to the table, even though I wanted to burst out of my house. "You're hurt."

"But they'll kill him." Marigold sat in the chair next to my mother, her pleading eyes pierced me, urging me to action. "We have to help Jamus."

Mom stiffened at the mention of Jamus. I don't know how they did it, but both of my parents had remained calm since I exploded into the house, Marigold right behind me. Seated at the table, their dinner cold and untouched, their surprise quickly turned to resolve when I told them about Sam.

My father instantly used his comm to do see if he could ping some vitals from Sam's comm. No readings came back.

He closed his eyes long enough to lower his shoulders and exhale. He left the room for a moment and came back with some bandages and disinfectant. "Marigold," he said as he knelt on the floor by her seat and gently took her injured hands in his, "I have to ask you some questions about what happened to Sam and Jamus." He looked her in the eyes. "Is that okay?"

Marigold looked away from him and nodded. As my father cleaned Marigold's wounded hands he probed for the essential details: The where— outside the Thurn's house; when—right before sunset; who and how—while Sam and Jamus argued with Ma and Pa Thurn, Deek and Boyd sneaked up on them.

"Okay," my father continued, "but you are certain that Sam is—"

"Yes." Marigold scrunched her eyes and shook her head. My father didn't press further.

Then Marigold looked at Mom next her. "But Jamus was alive. Ma had Deek tie him up..."

My mom nodded, a single tear fell down her cheek, escaping her calm demeanor.

My father began wrapping the bandages around Marigold's hand and asked one last question. "Where were you when this happened?"

Marigold shuddered. Mom rubbed her back. "I was hiding in the orchard, but snuck up to the house when I heard the shouting."

Mom stiffened a bit. "Hiding?" she asked. "Did your family try to hurt you?"

"No. I'd been hiding from them all since Xander left. Made myself scarce." She looked up at me. "My brothers were mad I'd sent you off. Pa was lit up about the palm light I gave you. Ma was cooking..."

"I should have taken you with me when I left," I said.

Marigold looked down. "They would have killed you," she said, her words barely more than a whisper. "Or worse."

My parents shared a glance. My father finished wrapping Marigold's hands and stood next to me. Mom pulled Marigold closer with one arm and reached out for my hand with the other.

"They didn't see me. As soon as I saw Jamus still moving I ran. I took your shortcut, Xander. That's what did this..." She held up her hands. She wiggled her lightly bandaged fingers and winced. She tucked her head against my mom, tears and sobs shaking her body. I moved next to her, wanting to help. Help her, help Jamus, help anything, but I didn't know how.

Mom looked to my father and mouthed, Reese?

My father nodded. He tapped at his comm and walked to the door. I made to follow him, but he stopped me at the door.