~ T W E L V E | S E C R E T S O F T H E N I G H T ~

Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Secrets of the night - أسرار الليل

Usman looked around the table of, he dared to say, criminals. Their eyes were down, afraid to face him. The elders of this tribe were corrupt and he knew it. They feigned innocence before him, afraid of his reaction. Knowing that he was for more powerful, able to destroy them if he willed, if only he willed.

When the sultan arrived, the confidence of the so-called ministers rose as never before. Sultan Amir strolled into the hall, his walk full of superiority. How he revelled in it.

Usman stood up, along with Hassan and the others around him.

"Glad tidings to you all" he greeted, taking a seat on his beloved throne. Surprisingly, the aura surrounding him was slightly tense, as though he was nervous.

"Abbas is here" Hassan whispered to his commander, both of them staring at the sultan's puppet.

"Take a seat, all of you" Amir ordered. He looked around maliciously, his eyes falling onto Usman.

"Abbas has confirmed, you took nothing from that shameless tribe." The disappointment dripped from his words.

"I informed you sultan, there was nothing to take-" he was interrupted as the sound of Amir's fist hit the table.

"There is always something!" His fury which caused the others to shake did nothing to Usman, he only raised his head higher.

Amir raised his eyebrows, it was not yet time for the boy to leave the nest.

"And that is why, I will now commence with the next step." He smirked as Abbas threw forward a list of names. Confused, Usman looked towards Hassan when suddenly the doors to the hall opened to reveal one that did stop Usman's heart.

A face he had not seen in years, the face which only rarely appeared in his nightmares,

Nasir.

"A list of names and an old acquaintance" the sultan held his hand up in show.

"You all know Nasir, I have chosen him to be sent to Al-Shujae to gather the slaves. His.." the sultan briefly glanced at Usman with a smirk.

"... experience will only aid us to victory." Usman felt his nails digging into his own hand as he formed a tight fist.

"Your victory is without honour."

All faces turned to Usman as he jerked up from his seat.

He looked around, pausing intentionally on Nasir and Sultan Amir. Without another word he abruptly left, Hassan quickly following him.