~ F O U R T E E N | T A K E N ~

Chapter 14 

مأخوذ- Taken

The sweltering heat of the desert forced the sweat on Wafiyyah's forehead to fall carelessly down her face. She had been traveling for many days now. Veiled and nameless, her heart screaming for a love that she did not own.

Being unable to reveal herself as the former companion of Laila had only denied her the luxuries of her past. Despite being only a handmaiden, Wafiyyah could not contest that she was treated as well as a sister of the princess. Yet despite her gratefulness, the yearning for love was stronger.

Laila had always thought herself strong, but she was more-so smart. Smart enough to know not to speak against her father or the greed-ridden ministers. By following their commands, she had only earned herself a better life.

She was courageous, brighter than anyone Wafiyyah had ever known. And she detested her for it. Whether it was jealousy or envy or perhaps both, she did not know. All she knew was that she must rid Abdul of this curse.

Abdul, who was now too weak to fight.

The caravan on which she travelled was close to its destination. A sudden breeze was in the air, fighting against the relentless heat of the sun. Wafiyyah held her bag close, feeling for the small vial she had so desperately sought.

She swallowed her guilt, thinking only of the man who suffered in his cage. Her man who must be saved.

After it was done, she would take Abdul and leave. They would never be found again.
It was perfect. She believed it was, and that is why it would be.

-

Laila stared out of the balcony as her hair was gently brushed. Hafsa delicately began to plait her dark locks, shaking her head as she suddenly became overcome with her thoughts.

"What is it?" Laila asked, turning to face the young girl. Hafsa bit her lip, looking down as she stepped back. "Nothing." She swallowed, nervous. Laila sighed reassuringly, offering her an encouraging look. Hafsa finally looked up, aware that her next words should not be uttered, yet unable to stop.

"Amirah do you remember when you met me, I told you there were other girls like me?" she stepped closer to Laila, taking her hands in her own.

Laila nodded, remembering their less than pleasant introduction to one another.

"I think I may have found where they are." She was silent as she watched Laila's eyes widen. Her grip on Hafsa's hands suddenly tightened. "You must promise me you will not go to them." Her voice was now a low whisper. Hafsa shook her head, removing her hands.

"But we must save them" she almost shouted. Laila looked towards the door, fearing anyone would have heard.

She sighed, approaching Hafsa whilst placing a reassuring hand on her cheek. "I know we must, but no one will help us here." Her tone was discouraging, knowing that her current relationship with anyone of power was weak. They all hated her, perhaps even Usman.

No, definitely Usman.

"You ruined everything"

His harsh words still haunted her. She shook her head, forcing him to disappear as she had done since their last encounter.

"Hafsa, are you sure?" she asked. The little girl stood up, her eyes dark as she remembered their whimpers. She nodded. "I know what I saw." Hafsa's mind travelled back to the memory of innocent girls tied up.