Chapter 6

News of the new soon-to-be duchess traveled like wildfire. Suddenly everyone in Cordelia's acquaintance paraded through the doors of Glenfall to either congratulate her on her good fortune, or to glean a bit of exclusive gossip. Did she know this was coming? Was it her idea? Did she have plans to take a husband?
After a week of probing visitors, Cordelia stopped welcoming them in, with the exception of Margaret Smith. Cordelia received her dearest friend in the upstairs drawing room where any Rowley's still roaming the halls would be less likely to eavesdrop on them.
Margaret sank into an embroidered chair beside the fireplace with a heavy sigh. "What are you going to do?"
"What do you mean what am I going to do?" Cordelia poured them each a cup of tea from the tray on the table between them. The scent of rich black tea, rose hips, and cardamom floated into the air. "About the Other Rowleys? I don't intend to kick them out of my house. In fact, I don't think I could since Andrew is the estate steward." Cordelia handed Margaret her tea and glanced at Jack.
Jack was lounged across the sofa as if it was his own. He shrugged. "I don't know if it would be wise to kick them out, but I suppose Andrew's say in the matter trumps yours."
Cordelia added an extra splash of milk into her tea to fortify her courage. "Exactly. Nor do I think it would help things if, in fact, they are planning to enact some form of retribution for my grandfather's actions or trying to get what they feel is theirs."
Margaret set her tea down with a clatter. "You really think they would do something to you? I can't imagine anyone would hatch a plot against their own kin, let alone a family of such high esteem and good breeding."
Cordelia chewed her lip. "I wouldn't put anything past them. In the past 10 years, they've sold off all the property they inherited from my granduncle and have been renting a house in London. I think they are quite desperate and were counting on this inheritance and Andrew's succession to the dukedom."
"I see, but I hope your fears are unfounded," Margaret said. "I simply meant what are you going to do? I cannot imagine being in your situation and the pressure this must put on you." She glanced at Jack before pressing on. "It is my concern for you that bids me make this suggestion... but perhaps you should allow Andrew to run the estate and the dukedom. This seems like such a source of headache. I know how much you want to have a family of your own but how do you intend to find a husband while running an estate?"
Cordelia's chest ached with a piercing emptiness as Margaret touched on the same concerns that kept her up at night. She certainly didn't need to be reminded of her desire for a family. Now that she was alone without kin, save for her distant relations, she felt the desire all the keener.
Jack let out a clipped "Ha!" that startled Margaret enough to rattle her teacup. "Young male peers find wives all the time while managing their affairs," he added.
Cordelia fingered the black ribbon at her waist as she finally spoke aloud the thoughts that made her toss and turn all night. "Of course I want to be married. Of course I want children, but my grandfather has left a family legacy to my sole care. I would be a fool not to fear I may not rise to the occasion, but it is my duty to the Rowley name and to Glenfall, my home since birth, that I ensure its longevity.
If I could trust Andrew to run the estate in the way that my grandfather would be proud of, then perhaps I could leave it to him, but I have seen the way he managed his own inheritance into the ground."
Margaret blanched and stared into her tea. "I'm sorry. I just — as your friend — I hoped that you would see the wisdom in my suggestion."
Jack sat up straight and softened his features. "I think, Margaret, you are wise to suggest this, but there is no one more qualified to run Glenfall than Cordelia if that is what she chooses. Furthermore, I believe she has the staff and friends in her corner that would come to her aid if she ever asked it."
Cordelia grinned at Jack. Of course he was on her side. Of course he would believe in her. "Thank you, Jack." Cordelia set her cup aside. "But for the rest of our time, perhaps we could talk of other things besides my worries. Tell me, how are the wedding plans coming along, Margaret?"
Margaret brightened and the topic of her engagement filled the better part of an hour before she excused herself to attend to other appointments.
At the door, Margaret took Cordelia's hand. "Before I leave, I want to make sure I have not offended you my dear friend. I am only concerned for your welfare and I hope you do not see my suggestion as a lack of faith in you."
"I know you meant well — you always want what's best for me," Cordelia reassured.
Margaret paused and chewed a nail as she considered something.
"What is it?"
Margaret caught herself in the midst of her poor habit and shoved her hand deep into her cloak pocket. "I was only just wondering if you think Andrew will make you an offer of marriage."
Cordelia's head swam. What a terrible notion! "I think Andrew has made it quite clear that he has no intentions to marry."
Margaret pressed her lips into a thin line before she spoke. "Perhaps, but I think if he does make an offer, it might be wise of you to consider it." She held up her hands in defense. "Now, before you object, let me make my reasons clear. Just think... if you desire to avoid some sort of retribution, accepting Andrew's hand in marriage might relieve some of your family's concerns for their future. A gesture of peace if you will."
Cordelia shook her head. There had to be other gestures of peace than giving her hand to Andrew Rowley in holy matrimony. "Margaret, I—"
Margaret cut her off with a gentle hand to her arm. "Furthermore, I think much of Andrew's reputation is just gossip. Perhaps he needs to be extended a measure of grace when he may not be quite the villain London's mothers have made him out to be. With his reputation, as it stands, he is an easy scapegoat for the bad behaviors and indiscretions of the Ton."
"Perhaps," Cordelia answered politely, but her reservations about Andrew Rowley came from firsthand experience, not gossip. "Thank you for your counsel, friend. I will take it into consideration in the coming days as I figure out how to navigate my new life in the Lord's will."
Margaret smiled as her carriage pulled to a stop at the foot of the grand front steps to Glenfall. "I shall see you again soon?"
"Soon," Cordelia confirmed with a smile and wave and shut the door behind Margaret. Even with her friend gone, the thought of a proposal from Andrew lingered over her like a sheen of sweat on a too hot day. She shivered from head to toe as the idea repulsed every fiber of her being.
There was no way. Never. Not under any circumstances or for any reason she would accept a proposal from Andrew Rowley.
"We'll make sure it doesn't come to that," Jack said as he emerged from the library where he'd been listening in.
"She means well,"Cordelia said.
Jack rolled his eyes as if he wasn't convinced. "I'm afraid you'll find many similar opinions among the Ton. Your grandfather's ideas were always quite progressive so it doesn't come as quite the shock to me that his will would be unconventional, to say the least."
"Indeed," Cordelia said, but there was a tremble in her voice as her nerve threatened to crumble.
"Hey," Jack closed the distance between them and took her hands in his. "You can do this. You can do this on your own or you can do it with a husband — that does not have to be Andrew Rowley. The estate is in good condition. There's no need to rush into marriage to placate the opinions of your friends."
Cordelia nodded as some of the tension ease from her chest. "Thank you, Jack. I'm glad to have your confidence, at least."
Jack beamed at her with his lopsided grin and squeezed her hands. "I'm the only one whose confidence matters."
A chuckle slipped through Cordelia's lips. The laugh, warm like the autumn sunshine slanting through the foyer windows, filled her with a forgotten ease. She couldn't remember the last time she'd laughed. She certainly hadn't since her grandfather had passed. "We'll figure this out, won't we?" she asked.
Jack cuffed her lightly under the chin. "Yes, we will."