Chapter 5

Cordelia met Jack Marlow at the door when the butler delivered his card.
He handed his coat and folio case to a footman, his face twisted with concern.
"What's the matter, Jack?" Cordelia took his freckled hand in hers once the footman had left. A year older than Cordelia, Jack had spent countless hours of his youth tearing through the gardens of Glenfall with her while his father was there on business. With autumn brown hair, and warm amber eyes to match, Cordelia had considered him a handsome man ever since she was old enough to notice such things. She had even fancied him one summer, but Jack's time away at Oxford dampened any flames of romance. What remained was steadfast friendship.
"I must speak with you urgently. I've come across some things in the documents for your grandfather's estate that are slightly concerning and I'd like to speak to you alone before we read the will to the families." Jack had recently taken over his late fathers law practice.
Cordelia was about to reply with the suggestion that they retreat to the library, but Andrew Rowley chose that moment to stroll through the foyer. At the sight of him, Cordelia dropped Jack's hand, but it was too late. Judging by the grin on Andrew's face, he probably thought he'd discovered something he could use against her.
"Good evening!"Andrew greeted them amicably and stuck out his hand. "Andrew Rowley, pleased to make your acquaintance... "
"Jack Marlow." He shook Andrew's hand. "Solicitor to the Rowley estate. It's nice to finally put a name to the face. I've heard much about you."
"All terrible things, I'm sure, if you heard them from my late Granduncle. The only Rowley to ever say a kind word about me is Cordelia." He flashed her his trademark smile.
Cordelia's appetite wavered. "I think Mr. Marlow is just being polite."
"If I might have a word with Lady Cordelia alone?" Jack seemed intent on speaking to her, which made Cordelia all the more nervous.
Andrew's brow furrowed as a suspicion flickered across his face. "I don't think that would be appropriate for my unmarried cousin to be conversing alone with a man."
"I'll call for Mrs. Parsons." Cordelia went to reach for a bell pull, but Andrew stepped in her way.
"There's no need. Your conversation will have to wait as I've been sent to fetch you by Mrs. Parsons herself. Dinner is about to be served. " Andrew offered Cordelia his arm, which she took reluctantly. He snugged her in too close to his side. "I'm sure anything Jack has to say to you can be said in front of the whole family," he whispered, his lips lowered too close to her ear.
Cordelia's stomach knotted as she resented Andrew's impeccable timing. She would have to wait until after dinner to hear what terrible news Jack had brought. It wasn't like her grandfather to leave something unaccounted for. Perhaps something to do with her inheritance? Her dowery? The thought of being stuck under Andrew's thumb made her shoulders clench with anxiety. What would he do if she were at the mercy of his care? And now she was supposed to just sit down to dinner? I doubt I'll be able to eat anything at all.
At dinner, the Other Rowleys paid little attention to Jack who was seated beside Cordelia at the end of the table. Francis Rowley had proclaimed loudly as they entered that it didn't seem proper to be dining with one's solicitor as it was beneath them to eat with the "hired help." Ruth had giggled loudly and their mother shushed them, but no one disagreed with the sentiment either verbally or with their behavior.
Cordelia apologized profusely on behalf of her relations as Jack escorted her to the library for the reading of the will.
He bristled with barely concealed disgust. "Don't apologize for them for I know they have no remorse for their incivility."
"Then please forgive me. If given the chance, I would never allow a guest at Glenfall to be so mistreated."
Jack slowed his steps to ensure that they were well out of earshot. "I would never hold their behavior against you. Never. I am only trying to temper myself for what's about to come."
"Jack... What's about to come?" Cordelia asked but she wasn't sure she wanted to know his answer.
Jack opened his mouth to reply, but the elderly and impatient Mrs. Rowley barked at them from the library door. "What's the delay? We're all waiting here!"
"Coming!" Cordelia answered.
"I want the Other Rowleys to get what's coming to them, but I fear what sort of consequences this may have on you, my friend," Jack whispered as they entered the library.
He seated Cordelia and moved to her grandfather's desk where the footman had delivered his leather folio case. Jack opened the case and shuffled the through a large stack of papers. His face was unreadable a he pulled out several sheets and cleared his throat before he began to speak.
"This is the last will and testament of Algernon Rowley, Duke of Glenfall. To my brother's wife, I leave 10,000 pounds. To her surviving children and their spouses, I leave 10,000 pounds to be divided among all remaining heirs. As for my brother's grandchildren, I leave 20,000 pounds to be divided equally among all surviving kin. Finally, to my granddaughter, Cordelia, I leave the remainder of my monetary estate, as well as all properties within the holdings of the Glenfall estate, including Glenfall house and the townhouse located at 18 Grosvener square, London."
A murmur began between the Other Rowleys as Jack concluded the reading of the will with all its legal terms and conditions.
Francis Rowley gave a loud, guttural exclamation of disproval. "How can this be?" he asked. "Glenfall house is entailed to the next Duke of Glenfall, which is Andrew!"
Jack held up a hand. "Hold on. We're getting ahead of ourselves."
"No!" Francis stood from his chair. "It says so in the letters patent that the title can only be inherited by the next male heir!"
A little grin lifted at the corner of Jack's mouth but he swept it aside as he lifted the second set of papers that were on the desk. "Yes," he said. "This may come as quite a shock to everyone present, but the Duke of Glenfall made some specific arrangements before his death — arrangements he made between my late father, his son, and Prince George himself."
At the mention of the Regent, the room went silent.
"This letter, which I'm about to read to you is from His Royal Highness, Prince George. To whom it may concern, for exemplary services to the Crown, it is with great pleasure that I extend this courtesy to my dear friend, the Duke of Glenfall, that the letters patent for the dukedom shall be amended to include all heirs of the body, male or female, in the line of succession. It is my delight extend to all female heirs the full rights and privileges of Duchess as well as a seat in Parliament. I have enclosed the amended letters patent from the Crown Office for your records. Sincerely, your friend, H. R. H. Prince George."
The Other Rowleys sprang into an uproar.
"Who knew about this?"
"This is illegal—"
"—unheard of!"
"Deceitful!"
"But the deed of settlement is entailed to male heirs—"
"Underhanded!"
"The letter is a forgery!"
"Let me see it! I would know His Highness' handwriting—"Mrs. Rowley lunged to grab the letter but Jack held it out of reach. "Now listen here you impudent—" Her face went red, verging on purple, as she hurled insults at the solicitor.
Incensed, Ruth Rowley spoke so fast and so high pitched that Cordelia could not make out what vitriol she was hurling at Jack. Frances folded his arms over his chest and stuck out his lower lip in a pout. Cordelia almost laughed as he regressed into the petulant child she remembered so well.
Andrew rose from his seat, hands on hips. Silent. Andrew's behavior was the most unexpected. He, of all people, should have had the most objections to Jack's news, but did not seem to have any. He just stared straight ahead, his face serious. Contemplative. Perhaps his reaction should have frightened Cordelia most of all.
What had her grandfather been thinking when he made such provisions? Why hadn't he appraised her of his decision to go to the prince and get his permission to allow her to inherit the Glenfall dukedom? Had her own father known? A lump formed in her throat. Perhaps he had meant to tell her but has never gotten the chance.
Upon another moment's reflection, she started to see that, perhaps, he had been grooming her to inherit Glenfall all along. He'd brought her alongside as her ran the estate, teaching her everything he knew about farming and commerce and economies.
But what would the Other Rowleys do now? Would their retribution come down on her? Perhaps Jack was right to worry about her.
"We are going to contest this in court!" Mrs. Rowley proclaimed for all of her side of the family. "I shall speak with my solicitor immediately."
With the exception of Andrew, they stormed out of the library without even a glance backwards at Cordelia. Their exit seemed to snap him from whatever thought he had been entertaining and his face softened into a genuine example of sympathy.
Andrew turned to Cordelia. "I'm sorry for my family's behavior. This has come as a shock to all of us. Even to you I see. Please forgive us." He extended a hand to Jack. "Thank you for your diligence and presenting this to us. I'm sure that you and your colleagues have reviewed this thoroughly and can confirm that it is legitimate."
"I did," Jack answered.
Andrew nodded. "Well then, it seems that our beds have been made and we will just have to lie in them." He gave Cordelia squeeze on the shoulder and she welcomed the kind gesture even if it was from Andrew Rowley. He moved towards the door to follow after his family.
"What's going to happen now?"Cordelia asked.
Andrew paused at the door. Jack's eyes flicked to Andrew and then back to Cordelia. "Seeing as it is not yet your 21st birthday and you cannot inherit the dukedom until you come of legal age at 21, Glenfall will need a steward for the next three months. This duty will fall to the next eligible heir. Andrew Rowley will have to be the steward of the Glenfall estate until Cordelia turns 21."
Andrew stepped back into the room. "I see..." He straightened a little bit and returned his hand to Cordelia's shoulder. "Then it looks like you and I will have a lot to talk about in the coming months. I'm sure I will need much of your help to manage the estate. I fear I don't know as much about Glenfall as I should, whereas you've lived here all your life."
Cordelia nodded but her stomach plummeted. Perhaps Jack was wrong to worry about retribution from Andrew at least, but the thought of working alongside her cousin for three months was bleak indeed.