Black, Part Two

These✧Colours✧Imperious

The world beyond the windows is cloaked in morning mist, and waterdrops trickle their way down the glass. So too, you can see that the grassy banks that flank the rails are fresh with dawn's sparkling dew. The train tremors a bit underneath your feet, its path starting at the village of Trenchpull and ending at Vale City.

There's a plastic bottle of drinking water clenched between your fingers, which you rhythmically squeeze like a stress toy. The carriages are host to seats arranged row on row, though most are empty. People aren't fond of getting up before seven on the weekend, apparently. Who knew?

You stop and stand over a woman sat in one of the plush seats. She's sleeping soundly, her head resting on her arms. Her hair is voluminous, uncombed, and pink. A pair of aviator eyeglasses are tangled inside, their frame made from something gold. You sit down opposite her and spin the cap off your water bottle in one powerful movement, take a swig, then slam it down. The girl jumps at the sound, her tired eyes narrowing in on you. She pulls her glasses down and blinks a few times.

"Really?" she asks, looking up. Her skin is pale, her lips are pink, and her eyes are brown. "Did you have to do that?"

You slide the water bottle across to her. "To wake you up, yes."

"Why though? Are we there?"

"No. Still a few hours out yet."

She drinks a quarter of the bottle and stares at you in a cold, sadistic way. "Please say you're joking."

"No."

"Oh, screw you," Fiolxhilde mutters, resting her head again. She yawns and rubs at her eyes. "You woke me up for the earliest possible train and now you won't let me sleep? You're evil."

"On a normal day you nap for eighteen of the twenty-four available hours—woman up today and just deal with it."

She frowns deeply and says, "Sometimes I wonder why I hang out with you," in a scratchy, deep way.

"Because of my happy charm and sunny attitude," you reply, without any emotion.

She laughs. "Ha, you wish." Fio turns her head to watch what's out the window. Green forests, the blue of a twinkling ocean, the grey of a clouded sky. Separated colours, together making a pretty painting. Harmony in dissonance, one might say. "You know you don't have to, right?" she says.

You raise an eyebrow. "Do what? You're being vague."

She hums. "Yeah, sometimes I like to be edgy like you."

"Edgy?"

She smirks in a teasing way and props her elbows upon the table, then rests her chin on her hands. "Have you got your acceptance from Beacon yet?"

You shoot back a quick, "Have you?"

"Aha!" she exclaims, pointing a finger at you. "You're deflecting the question," she relaxes her hand, "but yeah, almost immediately. They probably saw my surname and accepted me right then and there."

Probably. Fiolxhilde Magnamara-Thulian. That's actually two surnames put together, really.

"I haven't got a reply yet," you confess.

She makes a worried sound and crosses her arms, tired eyes narrowing in on you. "The school year is beginning soon."

"Thank you for pointing that out."

She shrugs and reaches over the table to flick your forehead. "Just saying. What's your plan if they reject you?"

"Don't know. I'm not thinking about it."