2

An:Still down own anything.

Bella P.O.V

I stared at the phone, tapping my fingers on the counter slowly. Yet another stare down. I've been doing this dance every day for the past two weeks. Trying to gain the confidence to call her. She wants me to call. I know she does. But every time I built up the confidence to actually pick up the phone and dial her number I chicken out. It just doesn't feel right. Talking to her on the phone. Maybe if I had my cell phone, I could text her. But it's still in the shop. Just call her… don't be a chicken.

Just call her already! She literally asked you to call her. She wouldn't have given you her number if she didn't want you to call. She likes you! Why else would she come into the shop every day and flirt. Sure, she could just be being friendly but who's that friendly?!

She touches me any chance she gets. Squeezing my arm, holding my hand, playfully bumping into me whenever we pass each other on campus… the cute little smile and wave she does whenever she walks into class. Oh my God she has to like me right. And even if she doesn't, no big deal. It would just be a misunderstanding. I should just call her. I looked down at my feet, staring down at Sapphire.

"I'm gonna call her." I state and Sapphire stared at me for a moment before looking away. Really? That's it? She could be a bit more excited.

"Ruby, I'm gonna call her." I called out and I heard Ruby jog into the room. She began running around the kitchen letting out a series of loud barks. See. This is why Ruby is my favorite. I know she probably doesn't understand a word I say but she still gets excited.

She can probably tell by the tone of my voice something big was going to happen. I had been talking about Alice every day for weeks and I think she's starting to connect Alice's name with extra treats.  I have been extremely generous these past couple of weeks. Handing out treats randomly and buying new toys. I've been in a good mood.

I reached my pocket  before tossing both my girls a treat. Ruby caught it in her mouth while Sapphire just stared at it for a moment before eating it slowly. I spent a lot of money on these special treats and she acts like they're barely edible! They're organic! And the best on the market! Ruby loves them but Ruby eats pinecones and toilet paper with just as much enthusiasm.

I grabbed the phone, dialing her number for probably the hundredth time. I've dialed it probably dozens of times these past few weeks but I've just never called. Not after the first time when I hung up. I brought the phone to my ear, listening as the phone rang. And rang. And rang… and went to voice-mail. Shit. Now what? A voice-mail? Something she can listen to over and over. I can't mess this up. This is a lot more pressure. I could just hang up but then that would be creepy.

This random number calls her twice and never says anything. I have to say something. I heard the beep that signaled it was time to start talking and panicked.

"Hey Alice, it's Bella. From the coffee shop." I started and instantly grimaced. From the coffee shop? She knows who I am. I didn't have to say from the coffee shop! I sound like a nerd.

"And um… you always get the hot chocolate. With the special. And I always make it special for you. I always add a little cinnamon and some sweet almond creamer." I confessed and twirled the chord of the house phone around my fingers. I looked down, momentarily losing my train of thought when I saw Sapphire's eyes on me. Silently judging me. Damn it. I turned around, not able to handle the pressure of her stare.

"But I didn't call you to talk about how I make your hot chocolate. I called you to ask if you… well if we could hang out together. Outside of the coffee shop, when I'm not covered in flour. We could just go across the street to the park. If that's what you want." I state and turned again. I saw dad rushing down the stairs. A bright smile on his face. He was in such a rush that he hit his foot on the couch.