Chapter Two

He was so close to me, I could feel his presence. His aura was emanating off of him in waves of demonic power. It was haunting, he was a nightmare incarnate. This being was dangerous and unstable.

"Jack," I asked, my voice ripping holes in the silence. "What are you?"
He stayed silent, tilting his head down slightly. He was listening, but only his silence greeted me.

"Why do you want to help me with this?" I hopped a different question would supply an answer.

"I can't say my motives are selfless, I want my mask back for one, but getting rid of Zalgo would make my life infinitely easier." He replied rubbing his face with his gloved hand.

"How so?" I asked him, again suspicious of his motive.

"He's plagued my family for years, he's who creates us, created me." He said in reply exhaling a sigh.

"So you know what made you, then what are you, I can tell you're clearly not human." I said in reply, we rounded a corner approaching our destination.

"If I were to be honest with you, I don't know, I use to be human," he looked down at his gloved hands, "I think, I'm a demon of sorts, not like a demon of hell, but a demon of earth. A monster." He spit out the last like it had tasted fowl in his mouth. A creepy grin stretched across his face.

"But let me be honest little priest," he drew close to me, "I prefer myself like this, it's much more interesting." He picked up a lock of my hair as I swatted his hand away.

"You don't scare me demon." I said knowing there was little truth in my words. I knew he was dangerous, just like I knew he could, and would eventually kill me.

"You should be," he pulled away once again. The fluctuation of his mood had me on my toes.

"We're here." I said looking up at the building.

"Why would he be here." He asked matching my gaze, both pointed towards the front entrance.

"Why not?" I shrugged, taking the lead up the stairs.

"This is an orphanage." Jack said incredulously. I pulled the detailed contract from inside my coat.

" being height: over eight feet, main coloring: black and red, distinct features: horns, thousands of mouths. Does that fit the description of 'Zalgo'" I asked putting finger quotes around the demon's name.

"Yea that's him," Jack said still skeptical.

•••••

I pushed the doors open and stepped in. The hall was dark not a light was in sight in the building.

"I smell..." Jack mentioned as I found the light switch and flicked it on. "Blood" as light flooded the room and the demon finished his sentence our attention was brought to the massacre in front of us. Bodies of children littered the halls a few mostly intact. Others missing limbs, some torn to bits. I covered my mouth so as not to puke from the scene in front of me. Jack knelt by one of the bodies, it's arms missing from the torso. He stuck his finger in the blood and rubbed it between his index finger and thumb.

"It's only a few hours old, I'd say two, to three closer to three hours." Jack then stuck his finger in his mouth.

"That's disgusting," I said turning away.

"If you want me to help then we're doing this my way." Jack said "it's normal, I can't taste magic in it, so this was not done by Zalgo. I do however have a guess as to what happened." Jack supplied. My curiosity got the better of me and I turned back toward him.

"Alright I'll bite, what do you think happened here."

"What I think happen," he said " Zalgo claimed another human as his new puppet, manipulating them to think he'll make their life better and trade their humanity for power. And all that was required, was a blood sacrifice. For example." Jack gestured around the room.

"So you think that the creator of whatever you are is making more monsters," I clarify.

"That's exactly what I think," said Jack.