Chapter Four

"You stupid bitch" his voice filtered into my unconsciousness. I could feel movement, and the agony of my wound getting jostled.

"You better not die on me I want my fucking mask back you stupid fucking priest."

•••••••

My eyes fluttered open as my consciousness hit me like a bus and my abdomen felt like it had been stabbed all over.

"Fuck," I groaned as I pulled my hands from under the covers. I didn't recognize the ceiling. It was wooden rafters like I was in an attic, it was cold and drafty I grabbed the covers and pulled on them jostling the wound and curling in on myself. I closed my eyes and took a shaky breath. Looking around the room I noticed a desk covered in books and papers. Anatomy charts lined the walls. Across from me sat a set of shelves, each holding jars of organs. from lungs to hearts, each one was filled to the brim with organs. I recoiled in disgust, the sound of sawing pulled me from my thoughts, there he stood in a black button-up and black slacks. His sleeves were rolled up to his elbows, and he wore black latex gloves. blood dripped from his bone saw, as he hacked away at ligaments and joints.

"Good to hear you're still alive," he said over his shoulder, not making eye contact with me.

"Why did you save me?" I asked him confused.

"Because I've waited this long little priest if anyone has the right to kill you, it's me," he said ominously as he dropped an organ into a jar. A shiver went down my spine.

"Fuck that shit hurt like hell," I said relaxing back on the bed and looking back at the ceiling.

"Well, you did get impaled and lost a kidney too. Shame," he said still sawing away.

"Wait," I paused and thought about what he said, "what do you mean I lost a kidney?" I asked confused.

"just as I said, you were impaled. The bar pierced right through your kidney like a hole punch," Jack said turning his head slightly. The darkness hid his eyes from me only the bottom half of his face was exposed to the light. His chin was covered in blood.

"Fuck what happened to you," I asked him looking at him from the bed. he stood and grabbed a towel hanging off the shelf.

"Nothing I just got hungry." A wolfish grin spread across his face.

"That is disgusting." I commented again turning my head away. "how long have I been asleep? and were are we?"

"You have been asleep for about three and half days now, as for where we are that is a bit harder to answer. I can't very well tell you where I live then you would know where to go to banish many a demon, long story short, you are at my house, technically it's not mine I just live here." he chuckled at his own joke.

"Do you live with others?" I asked curiously.

"Yes. I live in the attic, there is one other room up here and there are three floors below us, in total there are 13 bedrooms, a library, an office, two living rooms, a gaming room, a parlor, a kitchen, and the servant's rooms." he listed off.

"You're making this sound less like a house and more like a mansion," I said joking. Jack stayed quiet. "It's a mansion, isn't it."

"Yes, it is," Jack confirmed, I nodded quietly.

"So who else lives on this floor?" I asked, filling the space.

"Uh," he trailed off, "Jack lives in the other room on this floor.

"You're both named jack?" I asked incredulously.

"yes," Jack walked to his desk setting down the saw, pulling off his gloves wiping his brow. "Technically we have different names or ways to tell each other apart. the people who live here call him L.J. they call me E.J."

"What does that stand for." I propped myself up on my elbows to look at him.

"L.J. is short for Laughing Jack, he's like this monochromatic clown," Jack said pulling a bottle of pills from the drawer. He handed me two painkillers.

"And what does E.J. stand for?" I asked taking the two pills dry.

"Eyeless Jack." He said turning away slightly.

"Like your mask?" I asked.

"Something like that," he mumbled.

"So how am I going to get out of here? I dont think I can walk on my own yet." I told him.

"Well, I had two thoughts." Jack smiled. "I could give you a disguise, and if anyone asks well tell them that you are one of Zalgo's new creations. the only problem with that is, they will smell that you are human and that would blow your cover." Jack said thinking.

"and the second option?" I asked to hope for a better option.

"I put you in a body bag and carry you out." a cheeky grin stretched across his face.

"neither are very good options." I pointed out.

"No, but it's all I got. When I carried you in the others thought I was going to cut you up like I do the others so it wasn't that suspicious. " he shrugged like it was the most common thing in the world.

"The others?" my sentence trailed off as I looked at the jars stacked on the shelves. " why do you do that?"

"It's the only thing I can eat. When I was changed that was the price of my immortality, that and one other thing," he mentioned.

"When are you gonna take me home?" I asked him, changing the subject from eating people.

"Tomorrow, you need another day of rest first," he said walking to the door. "I'll get you something to eat, for now, get some rest." with that he left me alone with my thoughts in the dark attic.