Chapter Six

"Here," Jack came into the room holding some opaque black fabric. He walked to the side of the bed and sat on the edge next to me, tying the cloth over my eyes around my head. Though at a glance it looked opaque, with minimal difficulty I could see through the material. I couldn't make out the details of Jack's face but I could see his overall silhouette.
"Hold on," he said as he stood and walked to one of his jars picking it up and bringing it over. Twisting off the cap he dipped his index and middle finger into the semi thickened blood. My stomach jumped as bile rose to my throat. Placing his finger under my eyes he dripped a trail of blood down my face.

"What the fuck are you doing?" I asked him calmly though the panic in me rose.

"It's kinda my calling card." He laughed under his breath.

"What do you mean." I asked him a little incredulous.

"Sometimes when I'm tired or just don't feel like breaking down a whole body I'll leave it on site, taking out the eyes is my way of showing that it was me. For a time it was the kidneys. I'd only take those but then when I started taking other organs it wasn't as distinct so I switched to the eyes." He explained as he moved on to the other side of my face.

"But why eyes?" I asked him as he stood and screwed the lid back on the jar.

"I don't know, I guess cause the eyes are the window to the soul and without a soul what's the point of the windows you know?" He supplied with a shrug.

"Alright so what's part two of the plan, how are we getting me out of here?" I asked bracing my side with my hand.

"We walk," he grinned.

••••••

"Why are there so many steps in your house?" I asked him panting. The effort to get down three flights of stairs without screaming, all while trying to act normal was exhausting.

"It's a mansion and I live in the attic." He deadpanned.

"Thank you for that enlightening information." I snipped at him my pain getting the better of me.

"I'll stay with you for a day or two in your apartment to make sure you can survive on your own. Once we get out of view of the house I'll carry you the rest of the way." Jack said a few steps in front of me.

"...And if we run into anyone on our way out?" I asked, not wishing to face anyone Jack lived with.

"It's currently one pm they are all gonna be asleep." Jack reassured.

"One in the afternoon? And they are asleep?" I wasn't quite comprehending what Jack had said.

"We are nocturnal so really the only person who would theoretically be awake is the servant. Oh and maybe Jeff, cause he's supposed to help her with tasks." Jack said leading me through a living room. "Fuck" he mumbled looking out the front window.

"What? What's wrong." Though I could see some things the fabric was a bit of a hindrance and I still needed guidance.

"The two of them are out cleaning the front steps. Well she is, Jeff's just standing there watching, alright we'll have to go through the back." Pivoting, he turned around and pulled me through a kitchen to a back door. Jack's gloved hand held mine firm as he led me across the rocky yard. As soon as we hit the tree line Jack's hand wrapped around my thigh and arm as he braced me against his back pulling me into a fireman's carry. It jarred my wound but it was needed for the length of time Jack would have to travel.

"How far do you live from the city?" I asked him.

"Remember what I said, I'm not giving you any information on where I live. Though I'm not inherently loyal to anyone I live with I would feel responsible if you or any other priests showed up here. That is if you could even find it without a guide." Jack explained again.

"I wouldn't try to find this place, not after everything you've done for me. I only asked as to know how far you'll have to carry me." I replied trying to keep a conversation to keep my mind off the shooting pain with every step Jack took.

"Fuck. I think one of your stitches snapped. I can smell your blood." He said as he picked up his pace.

"How much farther do we have to go?" I asked as, things were staring to spin, the edges of my vision getting blurry.

"Time and space doesn't work the same on the property witch is why you probably wouldn't be able to find it, that being said we shouldn't take more than fifteen-twenty minutes. Hey, don't you close your eyes on me!" Jack snapped, as I let my head drop.

"I'm not, I won't" I reassured him, as I focused my vision on the ground moving below us.

"What are we going to do next about Zalgo?" Jack asked me, again taking my mind from the movement and bringing me to the job I had now neglected for four days.

"Well he thinks I'm dead right? So I guess I should use that to my advantage. I'll try to get information quietly. And with your help I can send you to scout." My cognitive thinking was melting. I couldn't remember when Jack got to my apartment or how he got in my apartment without busting the lock. The absolute mess that it was, was overwhelming, and yet I lacked the capacity to care or come to terms with the embarrassment of not cleaning for a guest, demon or not.

"You still awake?" He asked as he gingerly placed me on the bed.

"Yep I'm still awake." The material still blurring my vision. I pointed across at my dresser piled with books and journals. "Your mask is sitting over there."
He took a step across the room picking it up and strapping it around his head tightening the leather band at the back.

"You lost your leverage," he noted his voice light, joking.

"Yea we'll, if you haven't Killed me yet I have little doubt you will now." I said dropping my hand to my side. I was exhausted. Jack pulled off his long leather coat and hung it over my desk chair. He rolled up the sleeves of his shirt and walked to the kitchen I heard the water run in the sink, and footsteps returning to my bedside. I felt the fabric tired around my head be pulled off. Jacks masked face loomed above me. He wiped away the blood smeared under my eyes.

"I'm gonna lift your shirt to repair your stitches." Jack said setting down the rag he had been using.

"Your shirt." I said to him trying to lift myself to help him pull the material off.

"Very funny." He said sarcastically as he went to the sink and got a fresh towel to wipe away the fresh blood.

"Will you eat me?" I asked my voice sounded far away and even I was surprised by the boldness of my question. Jack was silent for a long moment. As he quietly worked at fixing my torn stitches.

"Eventually, yes, but for now no, I enjoy my time with you too much to end it prematurely." He told me as I drifted out of consciousness again