Chapter 1

"Be safe", Feyre said hugging her two children tightly.

"I know, you've said that three times now", Asteria huffed as she was squished into another hug.

"Keep each other close", their father said sternly, refusing to let go of the hug as well.

"We can't get much closer", Nyx said sarcastically.

Rhys gave a playful glare to his son as they were finally allowed to breathe again. Asteria and Nyx had stayed at Windhaven before, their parents were only fretting so much because in a few months it would be the Blood Rite.

Devlon, the camp lord, had ordered them back to spend each day training for the tradition. If you ask Aster, she'd say they were already ready, but Devlon wanted them better.

"Train hard", their father said, "I expect you both to make it out alive. Look after each other".

"We will, dad", Aster groaned.

It had been the third time today that they'd received this speech. She expected her parents to be reluctant in letting them go, but not this stubborn.

"I wish you didn't have to leave", their mother muttered to herself.

"It's Illyrian tradition", Aster said proudly, she'd always been proud of her heritage.

"If we want to earn the respect of the Illyrians then we've got to complete it", Nyx said stoically.

Rhys frowned, "I'd just be happy if you got out unscathed, don't put pressure on yourself to make it to the top of the mountain".

Nyx nodded but Aster suspected he'd do anything to be the first to reach the top. Nyx was always ambitious, he enjoyed doing better and being better than his peers. Aster would be happy with a lower rank like Oristian, she already knew she'd have a target on her back, being both a female and the heir to the Night Court. She was born with natural enemies.

"Can we go now?" Nyx huffed, stretching his wings for take off.

"One last hug!" Their mother said wrapping Nyx in a tight embrace.

Asteria tried to stifle her laugh at Nyx's reluctant face, but her dad spotted her and raised a brow. She shrugged and Rhys playfully rolled his eyes.

Even though Nyx was the spitting image of his father and Aster the copy of Feyre, it was always Rhys and Aster causing trouble, never the other way around.

Once their mother had finally let Nyx go, she gave Aster a quick hug too, their dad following shortly behind.

"Cassian and Azriel will check on you in a few days", Rhys said calmly, "we can't come in person, we don't want anyone thinking you'll be getting an advantage with us as your parents".

"Devlon has already made us wait longer than we needed to for the Rite, I'm sure he wouldn't mind having an excuse to make us wait longer", Asteria sighed as she stretched her wings wide.

"Good luck!" Their dad shouted as they launched into the sky.

"Be safe!" Their mother called after them.

Aster and Nyx soared over Velaris, taking in the sights one last time. Maybe the last, Aster thought grimly. While she had complete faith in her abilities, there was always a small voice in her head that said she'd fail or worse; die.

She'd been trained by the best warriors in Night Court history and yet she still lacked the confidence Cassian expelled, or the quick-wit Azriel had. Nyx had inherited the calculative calmness of their father, but sometimes Aster felt she didn't quite fit into any of those boxes.

Aster said a quiet goodbye as Velaris disappeared and the Illyrian Steepes came into view.

Asteria was incredibly proud of her Illyrian history. Nyx felt indifferent to their Illyrian side but Aster felt most at home when she was in the air or fighting with a sword. Strangely, Windhaven always felt like a comfort compared to the other houses their family owned. She felt the most at peace when her days consisted of training and nothing more.

The snow was still thick and menacing over the mountains, the sun casting a harsh glare into their eyes. Asteria could spot Windhaven in the distance, the small wooden cottages, and plumes of smoke rising to meet the crisp air. Home, her heart sang and Aster smiled with it.

Their boots made a crunching sound in the snow as they landed outside their family cabin. It was old and falling apart, repairs had been made to it but it still looked crooked. Nyx pushed the door open and shuffled his way inside, mumbling about the cold weather. Aster knocked her boots on the ground so they wouldn't track snow through the house before she followed after her brother.

"Where's Jasper?" Aster asked as she caught up to her brother, "wasn't he meeting us here?"

Jasper was a friend Nyx had made on his first night in Windhaven. The blond-haired and blue-eyed warrior had challenged Nyx to a one-on-one fight, claiming that he was about to beat the High Lord's son. He had lost. Nyx had started training far before he was dropped in Windhaven for the first time and Jasper was an easy opponent.

"I'm already here, sweetie", Jasper said as he lounged on the living room couch.

Nyx rolled his eyes before planting himself next to Jasper on the couch, "stop flirting with my sister".

Jasper faked a pout, "but she is so pretty".

Aster chuckled as Nyx replied, "she looks like my mother".

"Exactly", Jasper stated, "and you're mother is hot".

Nyx looked physically repulsed while Aster bursted out laughing. She'd show that memory to her dad when she saw him next.

Jasper had always been a flirtatious male, he took special delight in making Nyx squirm and gag. Aster was happy to be his partner in crime.

Before Aster could join them on the couch, there was a commotion outside. Nyx furrowed his brows at the noise before leaping out of his chair and heading to the front door, Aster followed behind.

Opening the front door, Aster was perplexed by the scene in front of her. An Illyrian warrior the size of Nyx was being dragged away from the fighting ring by a handful of medics. The warrior was screaming in pain and his wing looked mangled.

"What the-", Nyx gasped.

"Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that", Jasper said leaning forward over their shoulders, "we have had a new addition to the camp".

"New addition?" Aster questioned, they rarely had people join.

"His name is Silas and he's been beating people in the ring all day", Jasper said casually, "it's animalistic".

"That's the most brutal thing I've ever seen", Nyx muttered to himself as the injured warrior disappeared from view.

Aster looked towards the ring but couldn't make out the figure in the distance. A new addition? Most Illyrians never left their camps without a good reason. She was curious on what made this brute leave.