Chapter 3

Aster pushed back against Silas's sword. She wasn't sure how long they'd been fighting but it felt like it had gone on forever. A large crowd had gathered around their ring as soon as they realised Aster was keeping up with the infamous warrior. She supposed she had the upper-hand, she'd seen Silas fight but he had never seen her. They'd both scratched each other a few times but neither were ready to surrender.

Aster could see Nyx in the crowd and every time she almost got hit, he'd cringe as if it was him in pain. He'd surely tell their parents about this, and if she lost, her dad would question her intelligence. But Aster could not resist a good fight, it was in her genes.

"Going to give up yet?" Silas panted as they circled each other.

"Are you kidding? This is the most fun I've had in years", she replied.

Silas lip twitched into a smile before he came back at her with full force. Aster hadn't been lying, Silas's powerful blows reminded her of the one time she'd fought Azriel when he hadn't been holding back. Of course, she was younger then and had lost. Aster was determined to beat Silas.

Sweat poured off both their bodies, even in this cold weather. Aster was sure there would be no need to train with another person today, since their fight was taking so long.

At every swing and strike, Aster would meet him. For the longest time neither of them had laid a hit.

Silas swung his sword to her right side, Aster met him halfway with her own sword, the sound of steel on steel ringing throughout the arena. Silas huffed in frustration as he swung his sword to her left side which had been left open with her block. But Aster met him again, this time pushing back on his sword in an attempt to throw him off balance. Silas had easily caught himself with his wings, but his temporary loss in focus gave Aster just enough time to disarm him.

Aster smiled triumphantly, nobody had disarmed him before, surely he would yield. But her smugness caused her to be distracted and Silas had swung his wing out, knocking her own sword from her hands. Before Aster could even comprehend what had occurred, Silas had knocked her with his wing again, causing her to fall backwards on her ass.

Before she could blink, Silas was on top of her, pinning her arms down.

"Do you yield?" He asked breathlessly.

"In your dreams", she hissed as she managed to flip them over.

Aster was now on top, her hands pushing down on Silas's forearms. He was only momentarily stunned before he rolled them over again, holding her tighter.

"Yield!" He demanded, clearly exhausted from the day's fight.

"Never!" Aster countered as she rolled them over again, this time she too held him tighter, using her thighs to clench around his waist.

Silas momentarily stuttered in his movements, their position clouding his thoughts.

"What's wrong, Silas?" She asked innocently.

Silas didn't get a chance to respond as Nyx ripped his little sister from the fight. Aster stumbled backwards, looking up at her brother angrily.

"Enough!" Nyx shouted, "call it a tie and move on, you've been evenly matched for hours".

"Hours?" Aster questioned breathlessly, she knew it had been a long time but not that long.

Silas pulled himself up off the ground, finally allowing himself to catch his breath. Aster too picked herself up, wiping the dirt from her clothes.

Silas walked over and stuck out his hand, "tie?"

Aster sighed, "until next time", and she shook his hand.

The large crowd around them began to disperse, muttering about there being no death or injuries. Aster watched as Silas untied his hair from its bun and she realised she was right, it rested just above his shoulders.

"Cauldron, wait until Cassian hears about this", Nyx muttered to himself, always the overprotective brother.

"He'd be incredibly proud", Aster smiled triumphantly.

"I know. He has no regard for your safety", Nyx muttered as he walked over to where Jasper was waiting.

Aster chuckled to herself at Nyx's attitude knowing he was being dramatic and would be over it in a few hours. She then turned to Silas who was picking up both their swords and handing hers back to her.

"You should come to the Tavern with us tonight", Aster said as she gratefully accepted her sword.

"The Tavern?" He questioned.

"Well, technically that is not its name but it's the only one in Windhaven so we all call it the Tavern", she said smiling brightly.

"I don't think I should, I've got...stuff I have to do", he replied vaguely.

Aster frowned, "okay, but if you change your mind, that's where we will be".

Silas nodded before he exited the ring and began walking away. Asteria was confused, had she said something wrong? Why had he gone back to distant Silas when they'd just been getting along?

—————

After training, when Nyx and Aster had cleaned themselves up, they set out to meet up with Jasper at the Tavern. Aster must of pulled a muscle in her thigh because she'd been wincing when she walked. She was still a little annoyed that Silas wouldn't be meeting them there, but it was none of her business with what he did in his free time. Throwing on a second jacket, Aster and Nyx set out into the cold night.

"I forgot how freezing it was here", Nyx muttered as they began walking into town, "I won't miss this weather when we're done".

Aster didn't mind the cold. While she definitely didn't enjoy it, the snow always meant Starfall and Winter Solstice, some of her favourite holidays.

"It's not so bad", Aster replied as they noticed Jasper waiting for them on the corner of the street.

Aster jogged to catch up to him, while Nyx mumbled curse words as he followed. Jasper was rugged up as well, his wings tucked in tight. Aster and Nyx both kept their wings away in this weather, when you have the option to not have them, why keep them all the time?

"You're limping", Jasper stated as Aster finally caught up.

She shrugged, "I pulled a muscle when I was fighting Silas today".

"You're lucky it wasn't worse", Nyx huffed as he joined them.

Aster rolled her eyes, "I'll have you know I got in a few decent hits".

"I know", Nyx sighed, "I just worry about you, you're my little sister".

Aster nudged Nyx with her shoulder, "I'll be fine, you know I like a challenge. Come on, let's go get drunk".

Jasper chuckled as she led the way towards the Tavern. You could always hear the loud, obnoxious noises of Illyrian warriors before you were even close to the building. Suddenly, Jasper nudged her shoulder and pointed in-between two huts.

"Where do you think he is going?" Jasper whispered so only they could hear.

Aster furrowed her brows as she watched Silas walk away from the town completely, heading into the thick forest. She frowned.

"I don't know".

"Come on, Aster, it's none of our business", Nyx said trying to usher her towards the Tavern.

"I'll meet you guys there", she said breaking away from them and heading in the direction of Silas.

"Aster!" Jasper hissed, "don't be stupid, you could get lost out there".

She waved a dismissive hand, "you worry too much, I'll catch up with you guys later".

And before they could protest any further, Aster rushed off into the woods, carefully following Silas's tracks.