Chapter 12

Over the course of their walk back to their cabin, Aster grew annoyed. If Silas didn't want to talk about his past that was fine, but he didn't need to run away. She trusted him with her fears and worries, yet he turned and ran at the thought of telling her anything. Even his responses about his father had been short and clipped. Aster burst through the front door after Silas, she spotted a note on the kitchen counter from Nyx. Apparently he was with Jasper tonight.

"Silas!" Aster yelled, casting Nyx's note in the bin.

He was clearly in his room so, Aster blatantly burst in. Silas glared at her, arms crossed as he stood near his bed, he had been expecting her.

"You can't run away like that!" She hissed, "I get it if you don't want to talk about your past but do you have to shut me out at every turn?!"

"Leave Aster", he grumbled.

"No!", Aster folded her arms as well, "you just agreed to come meet my family for Winter Solstice! You can't run away every time you don't want to talk".

"I didn't agree to meet your family. I agreed to spend Winter Solstice with you, it's different".

"Different how?"

Now she was feeling salty over the fact he didn't want to know her family. She understood they sounded intimidating but she just wanted them to get along.

"Meeting family feels...personal", he said quietly.

"What if I want you to meet them?" She huffed, "what if I want it to be personal".

She couldn't believe she was saying it out loud but she liked Silas. He was hot, he was kind and caring and he made her laugh.

"Aster, I can't be that guy", he sounded defeated, "I'm not good enough for you or your family".

Asteria frowned, "you severely underestimate yourself".

She stepped forwards, grabbing Silas' hands and squeezing them tightly. She could feel him tense but she didn't want to let go in case he ran again.

"Silas please look at me".

He tore his gaze away from their hands and looked into her eyes.

"I want it to be personal", she reiterated, "I want people to know you as more than my roommate".

He shook his head, "you hardly know me".

Aster sighed, did he have to be so self-depreciating? She couldn't exactly tell him she had a crush on him but inviting him in under the guise of friendship seemed like a decent route.

"I want to be your friend, Silas".

Silas was shaken from his thoughts and he stepped away from her, "trust me, Aster, I'm saving you from a lot of pain".

He pushed past her and out of his room, he was walking at a pace that clearly said, don't follow me. Asteria would allow him to wallow, but she had to convince him that he was worth something, that he deserved happiness.

                                       ————

When Silas returned home after whatever walk he'd been on, Aster was already waiting for him at the dining table, a package in hand.

Silas had paused mid-step as he took in Aster's stance of determination. He attempted to walk past her, but she was quick and had already pushed him back into a seat.

"Sit, and stay", she commanded before she pivoted to grab the box she had sat down.

"Aster this isn't necessary.." he trailed off but she silenced him by placing the box in his lap.

"Open it. Consider it my apology".

"You don't need to apologise, I was out of line", Silas said as he sat the box on the table beside him, "I shouldn't of reacted that way".

"Just open the damn box, Silas!"

He sighed but obliged, placing the box back in his lap. Gently he took the lid off and stuttered to respond with what was inside. He held it out before him, a suit. Why on earth had she brought him a suit?

"It's for Starfall", she stated.

"Starfall?"

He thought he was attending Winter Solstice with her, not Starfall.

"Well, once we finish the Rite it will be Starfall and you'll need a suit for that occasion, casual clothes or leathers won't cut it".

"Are you inviting me to Starfall?" He questioned.

"No", she said sarcastically, "I got you a suit so I could invite Jasper. I want you to go as my date dumbass".

He rolled his eyes, "what if I say no?" He teased.

"Then I guess I will have to invite Jasper, this suit will go to waste".

Silas shook his head, "you didn't need to buy me a suit. This is too much".

"Nonsense. You didn't have a suit, so I brought you one, don't overthink it Silas".

He gently put it back in the box before standing up to his full height. He sat the box on the table before facing her again.

"Thank you, Aster, and...I would like to be your friend too", he mumbled the last bit.

"What was that?" She joked.

"I won't say it again", he huffed.

"Aw, no need to be a baby, Silas", she said leaning forward and wrapping her arms around his torso.

Silas smiled to himself as he leant down and hugged her back. While the title of "friends" made his stomach churn, he would grin and bare it until she wanted more. He'd wait for centuries if he had to.