Chapter Three- Affirmations

Shota clocks the tell-tale signs in Hitoshi, wishing he could reach out and comfort him properly. He doesn't want to overstep though. All he can do is merely offer some sort of affirmation.

"Hey kid, you're all good. I know your mind is racing right now with all the possibilities but I assure you you're safe with us. We want you here and want you to be comfortable," he speaks softly, his voice gentle despite his usual grumpiness.

Hitoshi tenses at this, silently wondering if it's that easy to tell what had been going through his mind. 

He thinks to himself sourly, "I've heard that one before."

Still, he heard the man out, noting what he said and nodding-yet again-in acknowledgement.

     When Shinsou simply nods and stares at him, he sighs, "There's very little you can do to upset either one of us, but I guess actions speak louder than words."

He offers a small smile, making a few mental notes of things to be prepared and researched. He turned to leave, before pausing in the doorway.

"And hey, if you need anything come find me. I'll be in the kitchen. Don't be afraid to ask questions or request anything. No question too small, and no request too big, I promise," he added, turning and leaving Hitoshi to get settled in.

He figures he and Hizashi will go over everything else with him later. He wants to wait until Hitoshi is a bit more comfortable and Hizashi is done with work. On his way to the kitchen, he pokes his head into his husband's studio, signing a few updates and informing him that Shinsou was settling in. He then sets to cooking lunch for the three of them.

     When Aizawa had left, Shinsou took off his bag and set it to the side, sitting on the edge of the bed in silence for a few moments, his mind blank and quiet for the first time in a while. It's almost unnerving. He opens his bag after a minute, pulling out a faded book. It's the only thing left from his biological family, the only proof he'd ever had one. He can't remember acquiring it anymore. He's just always had it, scribbled writing addressing the book to who he assumes was a relative. The cover is faded too badly to read the title, and the pages are worn thin with age. This doesn't bother him, though. It's a sort of comfort item.

     He flips through the pages aimlessly, scanning the world containing fictional creatures, characters, symbols, and even new languages he's recently learned how to de-code. He sighs, laying back as he prepares himself for whatever was to come next. Eventually, he moves to hang halfway off the bed, his eyes scanning over snippets of annotated text and losing himself in thought.

     Shota spends his time fixing one of his and Hizashi's favorite comfort meals (chicken curry and rice), hoping Hitoshi will like it as well. He doesn't think anything else could be better at easing someone into a new place than a homecooked meal.

     His well-trained perception allows him to come to the conclusion that Hitoshi didn't venture out of his room. Although this is a somewhat expected outcome given the circumstances. As he settles into the familiar rhythm of cooking the meal he'd made so many times, he runs through his mental checklist. He needs to sit Shinsou down with Hizashi and establish some house rules, although nothing too difficult to ask for. Just the basics. He also needs to discuss which school Hitoshi would like to attend, and whether or not he wants a recommendation into UA. He stops for just a moment when he hears a creak-realizing shortly after it was just the cat-before continuing on. He also needs to set the boy up with a doctor and therapist. 

Shota sighs, murmuring, "Poor kid."

He isn't sure what all Hitoshi had been through, fearing the file had only covered the surface of it. It's bound to be more difficult than he'd ever anticipated, but he's learning along with Hizashi. This makes it just a bit easier. He sighs again, deciding for the moment that he's going to try his best to keep everything simple. Shinsou's life has been unstable, and he wants to ease him into everything as to not overwhelm the boy.

     Aizawa's mind is busy. There are many things to be done in the coming months, while also keeping everything simple as best he can. At the forefront of his mind though, is concern. Everything he'd seen in his file was unsettling. His so called past 'families' had been vile, and he worries he can't properly help the boy. He's never been very great at dealing with emotions and such. He's unsure how to properly make Hitoshi feel comfortable in the new place.

     A little over half an hour after he'd left the teen in his room, Shota finishes lunch. He sets the table, before going to get Hizashi and Shinsou. Poking his head into Hizashi's studio, he signs that lunch is ready. Luckily, his husband is close to wrapping up. He then goes to Shinsou's room, calling out out from a ways down the hall so he doesn't scare the kid.

"Lunch is ready. I made curry if you're hungry."

     Shinsou had remained hanging upside down, reading, when he hears Aizawa. He sits up, cracking his knuckles out of habit, before stretching due to being in the same position for a prolonged amount of time. He isn't exactly sure he'd be able to eat with his nerves and thoughts so clouded at the moment. He sighs, making his way out of his room and into the kitchen. He almost wanted to take his time getting there, not too keen on meeting yet another person. Despite this, he makes his way into the room in what he assumes to be an appropriate timeframe. He doesn't want to risk angering or upsetting either one of them, despite Aizawa telling him that there wasn't much that would. Another habit. He tends to stick to the status quo, versus going with what each individual person said. He'd learned on day one: Test the waters before jumping in. 

-1031 words