Prologue

"Stay down you weak Abnegation," a male voice calls from above me, which just makes me feel worse.

They know I won't move from the foetal position I wrapped myself in, but they're just saying that to taunt me. To show me that I'm weak. That I can't do anything. That I defenceless. And the worse thing is that the only reason that they make my life a living hell is because of my father, Marcus Eaton. The Erudite's bully all Abnegations, but being the daughter of the faction leader puts a target on my back.

Also, I'm easy to pick on as I have no one to defend me, to stick up for me or just to wonder where I am or why I'm constantly bruised. I have no friends in my faction as Marcus keeps me out of everything in the fear that I'll embarrass him and why would anyone else want to be friends with an Abnegation? We're just boring, grey clones.

I can't even turn to Marcus for help as he's worse than the Erudite's. He will constantly punish for doing just about nothing and if he found out about the bullying he wouldn't do anything anyway. If anything, he'd punish me even more for being a disappointment.

I wasn't always alone, I used to have my brother, Tobias, who would always be by my side and although he couldn't do much against the bullies or Marcus, he'd always try and take the blows for me and he was just company. What I'd do just to have someone to talk to about anything. Someone who would make me happy.

I'm so caught up in my thoughts, which is where I always go to hide myself from the pain, that I didn't even realise that my bullies had disappeared. Well not until I hear the final school bus squeal away bringing the last students home.

I groan at the thought of being late home again, I can already imagine what Marcus will put me through. I shudder at that picture.

Slowly, I push myself up into a sitting position, trying not to wince at the sharp jolt of pain that passes through me as I do. I take a deep breath, mentally preparing myself to stand up when I see a dark silhouette walking towards me. A Dauntless, great. Someone else to make fun of me.

However, instead of pushing me back down he offers me a hand and actually smiles at me. In shock I grab his hand and let him pull me up. Why is he helping me? No one ever does.

"Thanks," I murmur to him before starting to walk away because even if he was genuinely being nice, he wouldn't want to spend any more time with me.

I only get a few paces before he's next to me again and surprisingly he doesn't give me a look of pity, but one of determination.

"If you want I can help you," he says, "I can defend you and teach you how to fight."

I freeze in shock. Is he actually being serious? "Why?" I slowly ask, "Why help me?"

"I'm not just going to stand around and let someone be physically hurt just because of who their father is. It's not right. You deserve a better life and I'm not going to force myself on you, but I'm going to stop those bullies whether you like it or not!"

It wasn't what he said that convinced me that he was serious, it was how he said it and in that moment, I knew that I wanted him by my side as someone to protect me, but also just to be my friend.

"Teach me everything you know," I say, feeling a little hope.

"I'm going to make you the most badass woman, Rosemary," he says and I'm surprised by the fact he knows my name, that he even paid attention towards me before he realised I needed help, "And I say woman as you'll never be as much as a badass as me. The one and only Uriah Pedrad."

Updated 14/11/17