Chapter 3-Police

When you awoke the next morning you were surprised to find it was rather late. Normally your internal clock woke you up four or so hours before eight thirty. Clothes had been set aside for you on the bedside table. You changed quickly and headed downstairs. As you expected, you'd missed breakfast. "Good morning, dear." Alma greeted you when you got to the bottom of the stairs. "I trust you slept well?"

"Very much so, thank you." She gave you a curt not then went to answer the door. You continued to stand at the bottom of the stairs unsure of what to do as Alma opened the front door. With your bird like hearing it was easy to pick up on the conversation happening at the end of the hall. Two policemen were here.

"Miss Peregrine, I'm afraid you cannot continue to care for such a large group of children without having a partner. Well, a husband, to assist in caring for them. That little show you put on once a week can only earn you so much money. And caring for children, especially the amount you care for, is expensive. We need to take all but five of them into proper custody. You can pick which five you keep."

"Counter proposal." Alma spoke in a stiff and tense voice. "You take none of your children and see yourself off my property."

You didn't like the way Alma was glaring at the officers as though she might suddenly tackle one of them so you walked over in hopes of easing some tension. "Is something wrong?"

The officers looked confused by your presence, though Alma's eyes lit up as though she suddenly got an idea. "Perfect timing, darling." She grinned at you then turned back to the police. "You will not be taking any of my children because I am indeed married." You felt your heart sink for a moment but were unsure of why. Until Alma wrapped an arm around your waist and brought you closer to her. "To this woman." She nodded her head at you.

"You must be kidding! Where the marriage certificate? Paperwork? Proof?!" The cop demanded.

"Oh that has been long forgotten somewhere in the attic. It'd take days to locate." She spoke casually.

"I want proof, kiss or something." The other officer spoke for the first time. Your face alone was probably enough to call Alma's bluff. She gave you a questioning look to which you replied with only a small nod. She leaned in and brushed her lips against your own, it could hardly be considered a kiss. But the police seemed satisfied.

"Okay we'll give you a few days to get the paperwork to the station. Don't make me come back here." Alma have a curt nod before nearly slamming the door.

"I'm so sorry about that Y/n, I know you're married. But my children.." She seemed panicked but her expression changed to confusion when you started laughing.

"It's fine, I'd do it again for the children's sake. I didn't know you were aware of my husband though. I don't wear a ring and people normally don't know until I tell them."

"There's very few things I don't know. So what's his name?" There was a hint of tease in her voice.

"Jared. He's wonderful. We were best friends as kids. He proposed nearly six years ago now."

"My that's a long while, is he peculiar?"

"Oh yes. Though I never much cared for his peculiarity. He can read minds."

"Why don't you like it? You you not enjoy when he invaded your mind?" She was half joking but you frowned. "Is something wrong?"

"No, well. It's just, he knew from the beginning I never wanted to merry him. He must've known. I said yes because I'd been being pressured by my fathers to get married and settle down. They didn't mean any harm but I didn't want that, at least not at the time. I wanted to travel, and fine more people like me. And now I have." You smiled at Alma. "I frequently send letters to Jared and my dads, letting them know where I am and what's happening. Jared doesn't like to travel and stayed home to work." Why did you tell her that? You'd never dared to utter the truth to anyone, let alone a near stranger! A pretty stranger, but still.

"I'm sorry dear. I do hope you don't plan on staying in a marriage your unhappy with. It wouldn't be worth wasting years of your life. Hasn't been worth it." She corrected, then decided to change the topic. "How long do you plan on staying here before going home?"

"I'm honestly not sure."

"You're welcome to stay as long as you'd like. Even permanently. Though I do hope you don't feel pressured to stay now." She gave you a small smile and took your hand in hers, giving it a reassuring squeeze.

"Thank you Alma, I'll consider it." You gave her a small smile, not minding that she hadn't let go of your hand as she walked off towards the kitchen. When she arrived she seemed to remember something and let go of your hand in favor of making tea.

"How do you take your tea?"

"Two sugars please."

—————

Dumbass is married to a man.