Chapter 16-Confession

But look the those two tho- ... I'm too gay to be writing this shit

—————

Alma met you in the garden after tucking in the children just as requested. As first you were nowhere to be seen but then you dropped out of a tree. Alma's held her chest in surprise. "Y/n, don't do that! You nearly gave me a heart attack." You just laughed.

"Well don't die on me now."

You gave her a smile that quickly faded as she spoke again. "So what did you want to speak to me about?"

"Oh. Right." Your tone had gotten sadder and Alma wondered what was wrong. "Just promise you won't think any less of me?"

"Of course I won't darling, what's going on?"

You took a deep breath to help your mind prepare, then a second one for good measure. You took both her hands in your own and briefly looked her in the eyes, redirecting them to the ground soon after. "Alma, I-" You weren't quite sure how to word it.

She was silent, looking at you in confusion and worry. "Yes?"

"I love you.." You whispered under your breath, so quiet you could barley hear yourself.

"Pardon? I couldn't hear you."

"I love you." You said again, still a whisper, but loud enough to be heard this time. You didn't look at her but heard her breath hitch and felt her hands grip yours a little tighter. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to-" Alma cut you off by pulling you into a tight hug. You assumed this meant she didn't feel the same, but accepted the hug anyway.

"Oh, Y/n." She pulls back a bit but continued to keep a tight hold on you. You finally looked back at her. She was grinning, which only further confused you. You couldn't bring yourself to say anything more. You didn't know what there was to be said. Alma didn't speak either. But she didn't have to, her actions told you all you needed to know. As she leaned in and placed her lips upon yours.

You froze for a long moment and she pulled away, suddenly nervous. Perhaps thinking she'd misunderstood you or that she's moved too quickly. But you just grinned at her and pulled her back again. This time the kiss was much shorter. When you pulled away again you and Alma both examined each other's faces, happy to just live in the moment.

"It's getting late." Alma finally spoke, breaking the spell. "Come along, we should get to bed." You nodded and followed the woman back inside.

—————

I have much higher hopes for my next book-