Chapter 10-Peculiar Dreams

As soon as you reached the backyard the children tackled you. "You're back! You're back!" Bronwyn yelled happily as she lifted you off the ground. Everyone, even Enoch, was pleased to see you'd returned.

"Wonderful to have you back." Victor gave you a small welcome and a smile, not wanting to crowd you more than you were already were.

"Someone else to tell my jokes to!" Abe yelled as he ran over. You wouldn't be surprised if he'd memorized the entire book already.

"NO!" Millard screamed an tackled Abe, which effectively started a dog pile. You took your chance to escape the and ran inside through the back door leading to the kitchen. When Turing the corner into the hall you ran straight into Alma.

"Oh, so sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going." You apologized to the taller woman.

"It's perfectly alright. Your things have been placed in the guest room. Now, I think there's a few things we need to speak of?"

"Is there?"

"Indeed. I only wish to inform you of a few things that have happened here. You must remember those police, yes?" She spoke as she walked, leading you to the parlor.

"How could I forget?"

"Yes well, I had to bring a fake marriage certificate down to the station. I forged your signature by copying off one of your letters. I must say I'm rather good at it. But that's besides the point. Rumors are spreading throughout town. I do hope you didn't speak to anyone on your way?" She sat down on a sofa, gesturing for you to sit beside her.

"I spoke to no one. I was too eager to return." You sat down. "Perhaps I should inform my fathers I am once again married.." You joked, mostly speaking to yourself anyways.

"There's no point in that." She spoke now with a melancholy tone. "It would prove fruitless." She suddenly stood up and began walking off. You were quick to follow her.

"Alma, what on earth do you mean, fruitless? Has something happened that I'm not aware of?"

"Questions aren't necessarily something I want to be dealing with at the moment. I have a great deal to prepare for. It is September 1st, 1940, the time is precisely 12:43 pm with only 4.2 seconds remaining until 12:44 pm." She pushed and sighed. "I'm making no sense, am I?" You shook your head no. "Horace had a dream, what I fear to be a prophecy but hope was only a nightmare. I need to prepare, bird knows how long I have left." She got quieter and quieter as she spoke. Luckily your birdlike hearing had no trouble catching each word.

"I'd be more than willing to assist you in whatever you might need of me."

"No. Enjoy your time with the children. There will be plenty of time to help later." Alma said before walking off, leaving you alone in the hall. The Bird had been shocked to find you on the porch earlier that afternoon. And as much as she wished she could just be happy about your arrival. All she could do was fear the worst, for her children, and now you as well. She wasn't sure when, but someday soon, it would no longer feel safe here.

—————

You were left uneasy after the conversation with the headmistress. But you didn't want to think too much of it and decided to take her advice. You spent much of your time with the children. And soon enough it was time for dinner. You kept sparing worried glances at Alma who had barley looked up from her plate. She did once, made eye contact with you, and didn't look up again. She was clearly anxious about something. But you couldn't understand what.

Horace pulled his ymbryne aside after the meal. You passed by the parlor door just in time to catch them talking with your sharp hearing. "We can't do the movie tonight. It was the same dream. No one will believe it was only a nightmare if it makes a second appearance. The house would erupt into chaos." Horace spoke.

"Very well, we'll tell them you had a dreamless sleep. Any other predictions I should be made aware of?" The headmistress asked.

"No, that was the only dream. Except.. it was a bit different this time."

"How so?"

"Y/n was in it.. running away with us.. then it hit. The rest was the same though. You were no where to be found. Neither was Emma or Olive."

You rushed away before they could catch you listening in. What on earth had Horace dreamed about? And had you doomed yourself by coming back?

—————

I live for drama