Chapter 11

Lauren smiled sadly. "They never got along. No matter what they tried to do or say, nothing could've fixed the rift that wedged itself between them."

"Do you know if they ever tried therapy?" Lucy inquired. "Lots of groups and bands give it a go at least once before they rule anything out."

"Oh, goodness," she tossed her head back and laughed. "I think if Simon even considered  putting them all in a room together—he'd be six feet under faster than he could blink."

-

"Are you okay?"

Selena moved the ice pack away from her eye and gave her a nonchalant shrug. "I've been through worse,"

"Looks like it hurts, though," Lauren sat down next to Selena, examining the black eye and swollen nose she was sporting. Instinctively, she glanced down at Selena's arm, blushing when Selena turned it away. "Sorry. I just didn't know—"

"That I was a heroin addict? I don't really like to parade that kind of information around."

"I'm not judging you if that's what you think,"

"Well, I'd hope not considering you're pretty much my only friend right now,"

"Are they that mad at you?"

"To be honest, I'm kind of surprised Camila didn't kill me on the spot. Normani talked to me a bit this afternoon, but she's keeping her distance as well. They're all trying to be a kiss-up to Miss Rockstar."

Lauren winced at the mention of yesterday's incident. "Do you fight like this often?"

"No," Selena pressed the ice pack against her eye again. "Well, once, but we've stayed out of each other's way ever since."

"That sucks,"

"Does it?"

"You guys are in a band together. I mean, you probably spend more time with each other than without. It sucks to be around somebody who doesn't even want you around."

"Believe it or not, I'm used to it," Selena slumped into the couch and sighed. "Camila and I used to be the closest, which is fucking hilarious to admit out loud. My parents took her in as one of their own and I always saw her as a sister too. I think... We just got lost along the way."

"It's never too late to fix it,"

"She'd rather watch me die a slow death before forgiving me for everything that's happened between us,"

Lauren bit the inside of her cheek and nodded. "Is there anything I can do?"

"Honestly, no, but I appreciate you asking, anyway. I'm sorry you had to see all of that yesterday. I promise we're more put together than that."

"We all have bad days," Lauren attempted to comfort her. "You don't have to apologize for anything,"

"I'm glad you're here, at least. It gets boring when they all gang up against me."

Lauren fiddled with the ring on her thumb. "I know it's none of my business, but yesterday I heard you bring up somebody's name. Is she an old member of the band or something?"

Selena turned her head to get a better look at Lauren. "You're barking up the wrong tree, Ralph. If Alexa is somebody that grabs your attention, you should go ask that dickhead who did this to me."

"I—" Lauren began to speak but then faltered. "I don't think we're close enough for her to tell me,"

"I might end up with two black eyes if I tell you,"