Chapter 2

In My Line of Vision

Chapter 2

I awake with a jolt, opening my eyes to see darkness once again. I feel something soft underneath and on top of me, I push out my hand to feel the softest furs in between my fingers. My body aches and I can feel fabric wrapped around my shoulder, my hand going to it to feel it bandaged up. I look everywhere needing to see again, wishing it had been all a dream. The battle with the grounders, the Mountain Men, the discovering of all of those grounders being used for the Mountain Men, the long jump into the water, the arrival into the grounders village.

I feel a slight breeze above where the fur isn't covering my body, I let my hands raise to my stomach feeling fabric wrapped around my torso. My shoulders are bare, yet I am covered down to my waist. I can feel new pants on me, they're not wet and muddy like the ones I was wearing when I came here. My skin feels soft and clean, I can smell a refreshing smell coming from my hair.

I try to sit up, realizing i'm on the ground. I am able to get on my knees without falling back down, I begin to crawl, not knowing how else to move myself. I need to know where I am. I hear others in the room, I hear breaths and shifting feet. I stop crawling, trying to stand up now. I stand shakily, feeling so much weight on my body, so much pain working it's ways to my muscles.

I walk slowly, hesitating every one of my steps. I hear the other people in the room, unsure if they know I'm awake. I take every step with caution, keeping my hands out so I don't walk into anything. I hear chuckling then, making me come to a stop.

"Who's there?" I question, receiving more laughter. I then hear a woman's voice speak in their language to the other, I recognize it from when I was in the room with the Commander.

Indra.

I can hear the other person then leaving, and I know i'm alone with Indra. I gulp as I hear footsteps walking towards me, I stand as tall as I can, not wanting to appear afraid. I can hear her breathing, I can hear her sword sliding against her scabbard. I take a step back becoming cautious, knowing she's retrieving her weapon.

"You, Clarke of the Sky People." She spits out as I feel the tip of her blade touch my chest. She doesn't pierce my skin, but keeps the sword coming closer to my neck. I freeze in place not knowing what exactly is going on.

"You killed three hundred of our people." She then accuses me, making me gulp again. I know she has every desire to kill me, she probably knew many of the grounders who died from the blast.

I keep silent, knowing anything I say will just make things worse. I take another step back, but she follows with me, the blade still threatening my neck. My hands shake at my sides, wishing she would just kill me already if she's going to.

"Why don't you speak?" She then wonders in anger, becoming impatient with me. I slowly raise my hands in the air as a surrender, wishing she would just put down the sharp blade already.

"I did what I had to do to save my own people." I tell her, which I know just makes her angrier. The blade twists and turns so that it's flat against my neck. She suddenly backs me up forcefully until my hips hit a table of some sorts. I keep my hands up, but the pressure of the blade continues to rise.

"Ripa!" She then shouts at me, her hot breath on my face.

"I don't know what you're saying." I tell her truthfully, trying to buy some time before she kills me.

"You're a murderer!" She spits out, her blade leaving my neck. I take a deep breath, but she pushes me forcefully back down to the ground. I stumble and hit hard, feeling even more pain than before.