Chapter 3

In My Line of Vision

Chapter 3

I wake to the sound of talking, soft whispers that lead right outside of the tent. I stay laying down, opening my eyes with the lost hope of seeing what's in front of me. I flex my muscles and stretch a bit, feeling a bit better than before. I bring my hand up to my shoulder, finding that my bandage has been replaced with a new one.

I sit up slowly, pushing my legs over the bed. My feet hit the soft furs of the floor, realizing somebody has taken off my boots. My toes wiggle as they dig into the fur as I take deep breaths in preparation of standing. When I do stand, my legs experience soreness immediately, I begin to walk through it though, holding my hands out in front of me.

I stop walking when my hand hits fabric, letting me know it's a side of the tent when it pushes through. The voices I heard before go silent, making me think they've noticed I'm awake. I walk along the side of the fabric wall of the tent, keeping one hand trailing along it the whole time. Walking stimulates me for a moment, making it easier to smile even for the slightest second.

I freeze when I hear someone's footsteps enter the room. I have no idea who it is, which makes me a bit nervous as I stand unguarded. I stand my ground, waiting for the mystery person to say something and reveal themselves. I then hear more footsteps, telling me that there is more than one person who has come inside the room.

"Clarke, do you need something?" I hear the Commander's voice question, sounding a bit concerned by my actions to get up.

"No...I was trying to walk a bit, stretch out my muscles." I tell her, feeling almost embarrassed for some reason.

"Are you hungry now?" She then asks me, her voice moving closer to me.

"I-yeah. Food would be nice." I nod feeling very uncomfortable, disliking this feeling of helplessness.

"Anya, go find someone to bring Clarke and I meals." The Commander then speaks, making me connect a face to the unknown person in the room.

"Of course, Heda." I hear Anya reply, not sounding too happy about her duty. I hear her movement as she leaves the room, leaving me alone with the Commander. I drop my hands away from the side of the tent, turning my body towards the sound of her voice.

"Would you like to sit back down Clarke?" She asks me, I nod my head starting to take slow steps in front of me.

"Commander, what time of day is it?" I then wonder, knowing this is something I'm going to hate the most. Not knowing what time it is, having to ask others to find out.

"The sun is setting." I then feel a hand on my back, helping me back towards the bed. Her hand settling gently on the exposed skin of my back, I can't help but feel compelled by it. I sit down once i've reached the bed, letting my legs hang off the edge. "And call me Lexa please." She adds on, making me nod my head.

"Do you feel better?" She asks me as I feel her body sit down next to mine.

"Somewhat...Obviously still can't see though." I tell her knowing I need to get used to the fact.

"You will soon, even if it takes multiple doses of our antidote." She tells me in a comforting way. I shake my head, knowing that I should give my hopes up. If she said it only works half the time, then I need to let myself believe that it won't work, just so I don't get even more disappointed when it never does.

"The horses, how many do you have?" I then ask as a way of distracting my thoughts, knowing i've surprised her with the question.

"There are not many in this village, but lots in Polis." She informs me, making me feel a bit confused.

"Polis?" I question, never hearing of the place. I don't remember reading about it back on the Ark in the library.

"It's our capital. There are many more of us who live there." She lets me know, myself feeling surprised with this new information. I guess i've never really thought about there being more Grounders out there. I stay silent for a moment, thinking about all of the possibilities.

"Why did you ask about the horses?" Lexa then wonders, unable to stop herself from asking.

"I haven't seen many animals since I've got here, only ones that Bellamy and his friends have killed for food." I explain with a small shrug, always hating the fact that I was eating something that was once alive.

"Bellamy?" She questions, not sounding sure of who I might be talking about.

"He's one of the hundred who came down." I tell her thinking about the boy and how he sacrificed himself in order to come help his sister.

"Is he your partner?" She then asks curiously, I immediately begin to chuckle while smiling.

"No, no, no." I quickly clarify, "He's more like an annoying brother."

There's a moment of silence as she understands, taking in the information. I can hear her breathing beside me, showing me she's still here. I desperately wish I could see her, know what she might look like. I see the darker skin like the rest of the Grounders i've seen, but I have no idea what else might define her. It's easy to say that it bothers me a lot.

A moment later, I hear footsteps again, the food arriving. Lexa helps me rise from the bed, and takes me to a table where it might be easier for me to eat. I sit in one of the chairs, and I can hear her sit beside me. I reach forward, my hand wrapping around some kind of fruit. I begin to eat, not really knowing what's about to go into my mouth each time. The food is good though, it definitely helps the hunger pain i've just begun to feel.

"When you are feeling better, I could take you down to the lake." Lexa begins a conversation, making me curious.

"Why?" I question her, not really understanding why she would want to take me there.

"You should learn how to swim if you live here, it's a valuable skill to have." She tells me, which then makes me feel a bit nervous.

"You would teach me?" I ask her, not knowing if I would enjoy it or not. After the feeling of drowning back at the mountain, I don't know if I would like to get back in the water anytime soon.

"If you want me to, I could get somebody else if you would feel more comfortable." She tells me almost sounding upset, taking my words the wrong way.

"I only trust you to be honest, I would be grateful if you showed me how to swim." I reply quickly, telling her the truth. I know that she's probably the only person in this whole village who doesn't want to see my head on a stake.

"We should do so then when your body is ready." She tells me, I can almost hear the smile in her voice.

"Can I ask that you might do something else for me?" I question hoping i'm not pushing any boundaries here.

"What is it?" She wonders kindly, making me feel relieved that she isn't offended that i'm asking more of her.

"Can you take me to the horses?" I wonder, knowing it must sound stupid to a warrior like her. There's a moment of silence and I have no idea what she might be thinking.

"I will take you to mine, she's a good horse. I think you might like her." I hear that smile again, making it hard for me to hide my own.