Tragedy + Time

I'm so tired, Jack O'Connor thought as he was sipping his seventh pint of Guinness in McIlrath Bar in Cork.

"How are ya, mate?" he heard Tim Walsh, his friend, the bartender ask.

"Quite poxy, mate."

"Oh. I'm sorry. Want another one?" Tim asked.

"I think I've had enough for today. See ya tomorrow then, mate?" Jack scoffed and slowly stumbled outside.

"Aye."

As Tim was cleaning the glasses behind the bar, he heard a loud bang come from the outside. It sounded as if a car had hit something. He ran outside to see if everything was alright.

"You know yer man, the ginger fella?" the driver, Colin McGowell, turned to Tim.

"Jack?" He asked in confusion.

"Aye. I just happened to have run over him with me Golf." He said, worryingly.

"Have you called the ambulance?" Tim asked, concerned for his friend.

"Damn right I have."

"Would you mind explaining how it happened?" Tim asked furiously.

"Well I was driving down the road, when the lass just appeared gee-eyed on the road. By the time I noticed him, it had already been too late. I didn't mean to hit him, Tim."

The ambulance arrived along with the police and they questioned both the driver and the bartender. Tim couldn't make himself to look on the floor where Jack was laying motionless, covered in blood. The paramedics had just lifted him up on the stretcher and brought him to the back of their car. Tim called his boss and told him that he was done for the day, as he needed to clear his head. He was also planning on visiting his friend in the hospital later. He got into his car and drove around for a while. Then he pulled up on his driveway, to see his sister standing on his front porch.

"Hi Maeve. What brings you here?"

"I want to stay here for a while."

"Grand! Want some tea?"

"Yeah. Green is fine."

As they were sipping their tea, they were talking about jobs, family, friends and so on and so forth. They haven't seen each other for months. Maeve was two years younger than him, and before she came there, she had lived with her boyfriend in Kinsale, just south of Cork. As she told Tim, he broke up with her and made her move out. She didn't know where else to go except here.

"I'll take good care of you, Maeve. Don't worry."

"Right. Um, there's something I have to tell you. The reason why he really left me."

"I'm not interested in your love life, sis. I'm really not." Tim replied with a smirk appearing on his face.

"You'd really want to know." She made a short pause, "You're gonna be an uncle!" Maeve squealed.

"Christ Almighty! You're really pregnant, sister?"

"Yeah!"

"Anything else I need to know before you've completely moved in?" Tim laughed and so did Maeve.

"Nope. So how was your day?"

"Had an early shift today, met Jack in the bar getting drunk, and after that he got run over by Declan's brother. I was planning on visiting him in the hospital later. Wanna come?" Tim said with his voice breaking with each sentence.

"You had a hell of an afternoon, I see. Is Jack alright? And yes, I'd love to come with you."

"I don't know. I haven't heard anything yet. I really hope so."