Chapter Fifteen: One Step Forward, One Step Back

Countdown: 3 Days, 18 hours, 4 deaths

The roads are quiet, now- too quiet. The cobbled streets are littered with trash and signs, but the sound and fury have dissipated. All that remains is an unnerving sensation of emptiness and gloom.

Aurelia steers the boy away from the major thoroughfares, choosing instead to walk briskly down the series of interconnected alleyways, out of sight of the Mercenaries. Out of sight of everyone, save those looking out their windows.

This means they will not take the bullet train. Their walk will be a long one.

The boy follows without comment. He is still, and pale, his lips white around the edges. His eyes are wide, brown saucers, his hands cold when Aurelia's brush against them.

Shock, she surmises. She might be in a little bit of it too.

It isn't until much later, when the blisters on Aurelia's feet have re-opened and stained the leather soles of her sturdiest pair of sandals with more blood, that the boy finally opens his mouth again.

"Letus was there," he says, softly, and Aurelia turns to look at him. He is a stoic thing, his chin strong, his eyes dry. But his shoulders are caved in around his chest, his mouth pulled downwards at the corners. "And Jaen," he adds.

Aurelia remembers the pinched faced boy and the pretty, nervous looking little girl, living beneath the bullet bridge. She wonders if they are who the child is talking about.

"Some of the little ones too," he adds a moment later, with a sniff. He quickly wipes his nose off on his arm, and Aurelia grimaces. The shock has worn off, then.

She can't find much to say. She doesn't want to hear of his guilt, his pain. She has too much of her own to bother taking on anyone else's. For a moment, she feels almost grateful that she will never become a mother; she has no idea how to comfort children.

"They're probably fine," she lies.

"Jaen was arrested too," the boy refutes, instantly, his chin beginning to tremble.

Aurelia silently begs him not to cry. She doesn't know what to do if he cries. She trained to work through the psychological issues of adults, not children. She's never been particularly good with little ones. He's stronger than she expects, though. His face remains downcast, but his cheeks stay dry.

"It's my fault," he adds, a moment later. "She didn't want to go- said it would be too dangerous. But the kids have been asking for more of the guava cake... and it seemed like it would be such easy pickings... I talked them all into going." He pauses. "It's my fault," he says again.

"We all make mistakes," she offers, gently, and the boy scoffs, refusing to meet her eyes.

"Who are we hiding from?" he asks, a moment later, very quietly.