Chapter Thirty: Slaughter

*Disclaimer: T/W- There is a scene of sexual violence in this chapter. An abridged summary of the chapter will be available at the bottom of the page for those who choose not to read.*

_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_

Countdown: Six hours, 3 deaths

Aurelia fumbles, her fingers numb and useless in her panic as she quickly conceals the key she holds within the pocket of her tunic.

"Well," Lucanus Maevrion says, and she flinches under the weight of his stare. "What do we have here?"

Aurelia's mind races. She swallows hard past the lump in her throat, and when she speaks, her voice is thin, strained, and hoarse.

"Primo Gemellus," she begins, and winces at the way her throat strains to shape the words. "The Primo sent me to apologize to you, for the scene I made in the lounge," she forces out. She tastes copper at the base of her tongue.

Apparently, she has said the right thing. She does not lift her head, but she sees the door swing further open.

"As he should," Lucanus replies, and Aurelia can hear the satisfied smile he wears in his voice. "Come in," he orders, and Aurelia does as she is bid, gripping her hands tightly together.

The door swings shut behind her.

"Look at me," Lucanus Maevrion orders, and Aurelia winces as she swallows, her throat sore and tight, but does as he commands.

His eyes immediately go to the bruises blooming around her throat, and the chuckle he lets out is a dark, dark thing.

"Gemellus likes to pretend he is better than the rest of us, but look what he does behind closed doors," he observes. He stands outside of arm's reach, observing her, watching her squirm.

Aurelia takes a moment to play Camellia's character game in her head. It would have been easier to kill him if he had already been in bed, like Laerius Colonos. Instead, she will have to play him, manipulate him, to keep him silent before she murders him. Arrogant. Self-absorbed. Deep seated feelings of inadequacy. A need to be admired, at all costs. She allows the impressions to wash over her as they come, as he circles her like a vulture.

"You made quite a scene, you know. You embarrassed me- a Maevrion. A senator with more power than you could ever dream of. How are you going to make it up to me?" he asks, and Aurelia grits her teeth.

A man like this- a man who craves superiority, admiration, and attention above all else- a man who takes pleasure out of putting others down- will not want a simpering fool. He will not want a coquettish smile, or a broken doll. He will want humiliation, from her. Humiliation and grudging submission.

"What do you have in mind?" she asks, her tone flat, even, beneath its pain filled rasp. She glances up at him, then, makes eye contact, allows him to see that this pains her. That she is angry, but will comply nonetheless. His smile widens.