PROLOGUE - PART 1 - WELCOME!

The funny thing about tolerance is that no matter how bizarre an occurrence may be, you'll grow numb to it once it's happened enough times. If you take a drug too often, you'll need a higher dosage to get that desired effect. I'm no exception, except the drug I took was called "criminal investigation", and that "desired effect" wasn't desired but a natural reaction.

I've grown used to death. People dying is a constant, doesn't matter how they die. Death will find you one way or another. It visits everyone and even came knocking on my door. I thought I was wise not to answer, but its message came around to me eventually.

Let me cut to the quick; I'm dead. I only figured that out once the game of cat and mouse I was playing was finally over. I thought I was the cat, trapping the man I had been tracking down for years, but instead, I was the mouse who had been trapped a long time ago in a clear cage of my own design. I was just another victim of his in the end. It should've been obvious you can't survive a bullet through the heart, but somehow I missed the big picture. For a while, I was in shock, but like a drug, I grew used to the effects and feelings, and being dead myself was the highest dosage there is.

Or so I thought.

I don't often wake up in unfamiliar places, so when I opened my eyes to see a room other than my own, I knew I had been kidnapped. It was clear as day, but the question is why. Maybe a criminal was trying to enact their revenge now that we were both beyond the grave, or an old partner of mine wanted to reunite in.. the weirdest way possible. Whatever it was that got me here, it was nothing I wanted a part in.

The room I was put in resembled that of an old hotel room, with the bed I woke up on neatly made and tucked into itself tight. So tight that if I had been underneath the sheets, I'd be as good as tied up. Thankfully, I was on top and in control. Some lousy kidnapping this was, that or they did this on purpose.

The walls were tan, and the carpet was a dark green. There were standard hotel things around, like a desk with a microwave and a bedside lamp. A TV was mounted on the wall, but there were no remotes in sight. The bathroom was right near the left side of the bed, and on the right of the bed, there was a plant in the corner. The window of the room showed nothing but blinding white, I couldn't see out of it if I tried. To make matters worse, there were no blinds. I guess I'd be waking up early from here on out.

Only two details stuck out to me. One, a security camera with a blinking red light in the corner of the room, tracking my every movement. Two, a rail system on the ceiling that led to the door. My conclusion is simple; My captor is using some sort of technology to keep tabs on me. Maybe if I try to escape, something will come in on the rail and put me in my place. The possibility also stood that the rail meant nothing. Anything is worth a shot when you have nothing to lose.

My attempts to kick down the door started off as a failure. The door stood firm on its hinges like an oak tree in a hurricane, but like the wind, I don't stop blowing. I tried numerous times in numerous ways. I kicked, I rammed, I hurt my shoulder and had to sit down for a little while, but nothing was getting that door open. I was considering waiting for my captor to do as he pleases with me, but it was when that thought crossed my mind the door opened. 

"Excuse me, is everything alright? I heard banging," A school girl in an elaborate reindeer costume entered the room. While I first wanted to believe she was my captor, there was no way someone as young as her could've pulled off something like this. I didn't lower my guard for her though, looks can be deceiving.

"Am I alright!? I've been kidnapped!" I may have overreacted some, but this was a grave situation. The least she could do is not ask questions with obvious answers. 

"Oh, I'm sorry, I should have already known that, since I was also kidnapped," She seemed embarrassed, judging how she avoided eye contact and fidgeted around. I intimidate a lot of people, it makes sense that she'd also be as such.