PROLOGUE - PART 3 - INTRODUCTIONS

The doors of the hallway seem to have unlocked, all but for one normal-looking door labeled "staff only". From what I could tell, they work by detecting motion. It was entrancing to watch the door fold in and out of the frame every time you step forward and away from it. Before long, my attention was brought back to a person.

"Excuse me, Detective," Noelle stammered, "If you don't mind me asking, what 'ultimate' did you get?" This situation could not have been helping her anxiety, every sign of her nervousness had increased tenfold. The small grey tablet in her hands threatened to fall at any moment with how she was holding it.

"Haven't checked yet, but I may as well now," Truthfully, I wasn't planning on seeing what that robot had to say about me. I knew all I had to about myself, and chances are, it'd be just some sly pass at me and everyone else.

I find it strange that I hadn't noticed it before, but I did have a tablet in my back pocket too. When I booted it up, it displayed my name before showing a list of various icons. A map, a list of killing game rules, participant information, and a chatroom. Tapping on the participant information icon displayed a list, with most name slots being empty except for the 9th.

PARTICIPANT #9
Name: Abe Lincoln
Ultimate: Detective
Gender: Male
Species: Human
Height: 6'1"
Likes: Crime boards
Dislikes: The ones who get away.

That was, beyond a doubt, me. It was accurate as well. I do enjoy myself a good crime board, but how the robot would know that is beyond me. It was an ego booster to be called the Ultimate Detective, though.

"I'm the Ultimate Detective, according to this thing. What did you get?" I finally responded to Noelle, who had been waiting patiently.

"Oh, I'm the Ultimate Snowcaster... Which is funny because I can't really cast snow here, for some reason," At first I was skeptical, I had long believed magic to not exist, but I was talking to a monster. It can't be that farfetched.

"That's a shame, maybe your snow powers could have helped us freeze that thing's assets," I commented almost sarcastically, but with some truth to it. Maybe she could have froze the robot if her powers worked.

Noelle nervously chuckled, "Yeah, hehe, I could have."

"I'm going to introduce myself to the other participants, you can join me or do your own thing," I offered to her. Normally, I would do my investigation by myself, but I feel like Noelle would make it easier to reach the introverted ones, like Mark.

"That sounds nice! I'll follow you, if you don't mind," She seemed to perk up a little, maybe she likes being included.

"That works just fine," With that, we started heading off to find some participants to talk to. Before I had gotten too far, I did notice something had updated on my tablet. Upon investigating, I found the #1 slot was now showing a name.

PARTICIPANT #1
Name: Noelle Holiday
Ultimate: Snowcaster
Gender: Female
Species: Monster
Height: 5'5"
Likes: Jingle Bells
Dislikes: Mice

That was some interesting information. I'll keep that in mind.

We started in the hallway, where we found that crazy yellow thing was hiding in the corner, muttering some things about a "Grumpinati" and that they're "after him". It's very clear this thing is paranoid.

"Hey, uh.. excuse me, are you ok?" Noelle asked it, seemingly not as unnerved by its appearance as I was. It could be because she's a monster.

"Stay away! I will not take part in the Grumpinati's scheme," It was very aggressive towards us, which I thought would happen. Noelle backed away, but I stood my ground.