Chapter 4

When I woke up I was surrounded by silence, strange, because I distinctly remember falling asleep to the sound of horse whinnies and tires on a road. I looked around the truck, it seemed to have stopped moving and a soft morning light was pouring in through the small window in the trailer, the air felt very clear and the morning shadows present.

I made my way over to the door and pressed my ear against the cold metal, I couldn't hear anything which was a good sign. I pushed open the small door and stepped outside. My foot making contact with a sandy surface, a strong smell of hay and horses immediately filled my nostrils as the warm air wrapped around me like a scarf, pausing for a moment I became aware of my surroundings. Yep, I was at a rodeo.

I began walking around, admiring the athletic horses when my stomach began to grumble. I hadn't eaten in a while. Not to far from where I was I could see a group of people eating. I made my way over to a small stall selling hamburgers, licking my now chapped lips, I stared at the line of people ordering. I walked over to a plastic chair and sat down, the tables had been arranged like that for there customers who were eating there, a small table was placed in front of each. I eyed an abandoned hamburger with a half full coca cola bottle next to it, two tables across from me. No one had noticed me, and I felt like that hamburger had been placed there just for me. I stood up innocently and swiped the burger and coke up in one swift motion. I took a huge bite out of the burger and a swig of the coke, feeling very pleased with myself for scoring breakfast, and probably lunch. I started walking off when I felt a hand grip my collar and yank me back, causing me to spill the bottle of coke.

"Hey! Whats the deal?" I shouted in surprise. "You owe me a new-"

"Cut the crap, kid." Said the person. I stared up and the man blankly, he was about six feet tall, light brown hair, grey eyes and wearing a mickey mouse t-shirt which made him look immature. "I would beat it if I were you." I said annoyed, he didn't intimidate me one bit. "Ooh, I'm shaking in my tube socks kid." the asshole said sarcastically, "I ain't a kid, you idiot I'm actually fourteen." I said upset, people were always calling me 'kid'.

"I saw you swipe my burger!" He yelled ignoring my last statement, "No shit, and anyways you left it there!" I shouted back in defense, taking another bite just for the heck of it. "Because I didn't think no little asshole would come along and eat it!" he announced, "I want my burger."

"Okay, take it!" I said spitting out chunks of pulverized meat onto his sneakers. I grinned and turned on my heel.