Chapter 22

Nicole

Kian and I were getting into the car ready to go home. I got into the driver side and Kian got into the passenger side. I began driving home.

"So," I said to Kian not taking my eyes off the road, "when we get home if you want you can sleep in the guest room. Or you could sleep where you usually sleep."

"You sleep-" but I stopped myself. I'm trying not to speed up his memory to fast. "you sleep at your house. But for now you can stay with me." Kian nodded. I kept driving home and Kian looked out his window. I could tell he was trying to remember.

I pulled into our driveway and parked the car. We got out the car and went inside the house. We were greeted by Coco. "Kian this is Coco." I said. Kian pet Coco. We sat down on the couch. There was an awkward silence.

"So where's my girlfriend?" he said.

"Um... London," I said. He nodded.

"Can you think of memories we had together?" he said.

"We, as in you and I?" I said. Kian nodded. "Well there's was one time when we were at your house..."

*Flashback at the first O2L house*

It was mid winter and Kian and I were inside playing Mario Kart. It was pouring rain outside. Only 20 minutes into the game the power went out. It was pitch black inside the house. Kian turned the flashlight on his phone.

"What the hell?" he said. "I was kicking your ass in Mario Kart."

"I was right behind you," I said. He rolled his eyes. I got the chills.

"You cold?" he asked me. I nodded rubbing my arms trying to keep warm. Kian got up and tried turning on the heater. "It's not working."

"Maybe cause the p-power went out you dip shit," I said. Kian laughed. He took off his sweatshirt and gave it to me. I quickly put it on and I was instantly warm.

"So what do you want to do?" he asked.

"Hide and Seek in the dark!" I yelled. Kian jumped and laughed.

"Ok I'll count you hide," Kian said. "but it's going to be hide and seek tag." I smiled. Kian went up against the wall and began counting. i quickly ran up the stairs into Connor's room. No one was home so I could hide where ever I wanted to. I hid in Connor's closet. I opened it and closed the doors. I sat down in the corner next to a pile on clothes. I put one of his sweatshirts over me so Kian wouldn't see me. I heard footsteps coming up the stairs. Kian opened a door to another room. He then closed it. Then he opened Connor's door. Oh shit. I thought to myself. Kian opened the closet door and I froze. I didn't even breathe, then Kian closed the closet door. I heard him leave the room. I took off Connor's sweatshirt and I came out of the closet. I left the room and Kian screamed.

"What the fucking hell Kian!" I screamed. Kian started laughing.

*End of Flashback*

"Wow that must've been fun," Kian said.

"Yeah it was," I said.

"I remember," Kian said.

"Remember what?" I said looking into his eyes.

"You," he said. "You I remember the day we met. You had black hair and purple ombre tips. You were wearing light denim shorts, white v-neck, and a red flannel tied around your waist. And after that we became best friends." I was disappointed. I mean I love how he remembered me. But he didn't remember me as the love of his life. He remembered me as his best friend. And we were. But all the memories we had as boyfriend and girlfriend were replaced with me and him as friends.

Kian looked at his hand and his ring was still on. Shit. "What's this," he asked me.

"Oh nothing," I said. I grabbed his hand but he pulled it back. He looked at my hand and saw the exact same rings.

"Are we... married?" Kian asked. I looked at him and he looked at me with confusion in his eyes.

"Yes," I said. "And there's no Jaimie Brookes. The doctor told me not to rush your memories. So I made her up. But the real girl you fell in love with was Nicole Brookes. Who then became Nicole Lawley. And thats me."

"But I don't remember getting married," he said. "I don't remember being your boyfriend."

"I know," I said. my eyes began to water. Dammit why am I so emotional? "And I'm not asking you to remember me or to love me."

"I'm going to go to sleep," he said getting up. I could tell this was overwhelming for him. "um where's my room?"

"I'll show you," I said. We went up the stairs and I took him to the guest room. "The bathroom's down the hall, first door on your right." I closed the door. I went into my room and slammed the door. Coco was on my bed and his ears perked up. I leaned against the door and slid down. I began crying. Coco lied down next me. I was still crying. Why does everything bad happen to me? It's like the world hates me.