Chapter 8: There's Another

"AHHHH!" The vervain burns deep once again. "I didn't do anything!" I cry.

"That was just for my own satisfaction," Xander whispers in my ear.

"Fucking asshole," I grit.

"These modern day vampires, Laz, have no respect." He digs the knife excruciatingly deep, this time in my arm. Lazarus smiles sadistically at my pain.

"Please, stop," I beg. My body continues to heal itself as the knife is removed, each time leaving drops of blood where the gash should still be.

"Damn, Marcus," Lazarus curses his name. "We should've just killed her like he originally had planned. We don't need her."

"Oh, but we do," Marcus barges thru the front door of the cabin. "She'll eventually lead us to Zak, then we'll kill them both."

"Why don't you just sire me and get on with it?" I suggest.

"I didn't want this to come down to that, but I will," Marcus looks to me. "How did you know about my gift?" I stay silent regretting that I had said anything. "What other vampires have you been with? Drew and Kyle? My old friend, Phillip, perhaps?" Marcus questions. Again, I stay silent in attempt to protect my new vampire clan.  "Just won't talk, will you?" Marcus snatches the vervain knife away from Xander and brings it to my face. He gently touches the knife to my cheek making me grimace from the burn of the vervain blanketing the sharp blade. He pulls it away and smiles in satisfaction. "You will tell us. It's just a matter of time." He hands the knife back to Xander as he walks back outside leaving me alone with the asshole duo.

"Why are you doing this?" I question to them.

"You know Zak has to pay for what he did," Xander answers. 

"For saving me..."

"For coming out in the open as a vampire in front of thousands of people!"

"Nobody knew!"

"No? Is that what he told you?" He laughs. 

"Xander! Not now..." Lazarus interjects. 

"He still needs to be punished," Xander's ice blue eyes grow dark.

"By killing him...and me?!" 

He quickly dips the knife into the small vervain vial for a fresh coat of the burning liquid and drives the knife deep into my thigh, making me scream. "Fuck you, Xander!!"

"I think we could arrange that before we kill you," he smiles, pulling the knife out of my leg. I sigh at his comment and watch my leg as it begins to heal on it's own once again.

*************************

Zak's POV

Phillip isn't too fond of the idea of a fight between us and the Ventrue, but he's willing the sacrifice it may take to bring them down. All I know is that I'm going to try everything in my power to keep Amber away from this battle, even if that means having to use my mind control on her. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the Ventrue finds one of us so we need to start taking our preparations now. We are back at my home in Vegas to come up with a game plan, only, Drew is right...the three of us are no match for the Ventrue. Even if Amber was apart of this, we will need an entire vampire army to even have a chance against them.

The entire Ventrue coven consists of about fifteen vampires. I've heard from Phillip that a few of them are new vampires, like Amber, but the majority are old school, very powerful vampires, like Marcus, all with a gift of some sort. The Ventrue didn't take in vampires without one. After some thinking, Im beginning to think this was a very bad idea. I'm not sure where to start looking for other vampires to join us in this crusade, if they even will. We have to begin our hunt, and fast.