Part 41

"Raven? I'm really sorry, but we have to get moving. Were not safe here"

I know we need to go, but it's not as if I've just been sleeping for nothing. I'm exhausted, mentally and physically.

"But my pups?"

I can't just leave them, they're my pups, they need me. How will they be able to cope on their own?

"We won't leave them; they will be taken with us"

Xander looks over his shoulder to the approaching guard. I'm on edge again. Xander will protect us; he won't let anything hurt us. The guard comes next to Xander and looks down towards me. He seems to hesitate. I would too if I was in his shoes. No one should approach a mother and her pups. As soon as he goes to take a step forward, I growl ferociously. This man will not come near my pups! I will make sure of it.

"Raven. Let the guard take them"

I don't think so. I carried them. I birthed them. They're mine and they will stay with me. I won't lose them.

"I can't carry them and you. You need to let the guard take them"

Mine- exactly right. Even my wolf will not give them up. I will protect them with my life.

"I'm sorry little bird but they're gone, we need to go, or we risk being found and recaptured"

He knows they're already dead, if their little hearts were beating he would probably be able to hear them. I've let him down. I've let his blood line down. He should just leave us here. I tuck myself in, hugging the pups closer to me; they're feeling cold so I try to warm them up.

I feel Xander come closer to me, he places his giant clawed hand over my head, stroking gently down my head and neck. He's trying to use the mate bond to calm me down. He places his hand gently back over my head, while the other arm gently comes over my shoulder.

In a move I wasn't expecting, Xander has pulled my body away from my pups. He has one arm wrapped around my middle, the other hand holding my nose down, my teeth away from his arm. I begin to panic and try squirming to get out of the hold. But my strength on a good day would never match up to his.

I see another man come into the cave, now there are two of them standing in here with us. They approach my pups, my squirming turns into frantic movements, I struggle as I throw my body to the best of my ability, I have only recently given birth and the pain is still there, but I will myself to get loose. The first man bends down to pick one of my pups up. I try and snap my teeth at them, but Xander holds my face away from them. I growl as loud as I can, I can't let them out of my sight.

"Xander! They're my pups! Don't let them take them!"

The second man bends down and takes the other, before swiftly exiting the cave. The moment I lose eyesight, my wolf lets out a whimper and tries calling for them. I need them. They need me.

"I truly am sorry, but we will get through this together"

We stay still for a few seconds, both of us stop struggling, but my eyes are fixed on the cave entrance. He loosens his hold on me, but not all the way, he removes his hold on my face, but the arm stays round my body. He knows I will run if I get the chance. And the men that hold my pups will be ripped to shreds if I get close enough to them. We don't stay resting for long. He gently picks me up, and holds me to his body as gently as he can before he begins walking to the front of the cave.

The light shines so bright in my eyes. All that time in the cage, I forgot what real sunshine looks like. It's such a beautiful image that I wish I had time to admire it but my eyes are looking round, I'm looking for the only thing I want, but I can't find them anywhere.