Prologue

It had been a while since Zhang Qishan wrote to him. 

One of his friends from the Huangpu military academy. Zhang Qishan was the commander of Changsha at this moment. His military troops defend Changsha from internal and external forces. 

It's 1933. Xiao Zhan would turn 25 by the Autumn. The leadership of the country was still under Nationalist (kuomintang) party members. 

How long it had been since they talked or had a conversation like brothers… approximately six to seven years. Six to seven years after he, Xiao Zhan, and Zhang Qishan graduated from Huangpu military academy. 

Zhang Qishan was writing to him because he was in dire need of help in military duty. It was in the envelope with 'confidential' written above and had stamped red at the bottom. In the letter, he mentioned there was a mysterious train that appeared at the station from the mountains. The investigation led them to the mountains. His friend Er Yue Hong also tagged along with them. With the head of the American chamber of commerce and a Japanese spy present in Changsha, the notice of his absence would be problematic. Also, Lu Jian Xun is stationed outside Changsha waiting for him to make a mistake so Lu Jian Xun could slip into the crack and become head of Changsha. 

All he understand Xiao Zhan's friend needed him to serve Changsha as acting head while Zhang Qishan would go on family business, tomb riding, and fun. He stayed in Changsha before not that he wanted to remember. This Er Yue Hong… was a famous opera singer now. His family was prestigious in Changsha too. If the American chamber of commerce head and Japanese spy were meddling in Changsha's business it could be the problem. As for Lu Jian Xun… he would like to see when arrives at Changsha himself. 

By the first ray of sunshine, Xiao Zhan arrived in Changsha. His troops were stationed outside Changsha in the mountains in case of emergency. Only he and Adjutant Yu Bin went to Zhang Mansion after being received by Zhang Rishan, he was lieutenant. Lieutenant meant just started in the rank. He didn't know Zhang Qishan had such a handsome younger brother and was nice too. 

Upon the arrival of Xiao Zhan, Zhang Qishan prepared to leave now he could leave with fewer worries. He was geared up in knee-length leather boots, pants, shirt, vest, and gun in the holster of belt and heavy backpacks. So as several soldiers.  

Two heavy bags of luggage were taken to the respective rooms of Xiao Zhan and Yubin. 

They met a petite mistress on the way. The maid said she was the fiance of their master. They called her Madame Zhang. Now she was Madame Zhang to him too. She belonged to an influential family in Shanghai and her master brought her home. 

Thank God Xiao Zhan was in the Zhang Mansion at that time. When Zhang Qishan's enemy, Chen Pi was attacking his mistress he fend off the attack. Even met trespassing Lu Jian Xun. 

Madame Zhang owed him that one. They clicked over the lunch. He spent all his time hearing about Madame Zhang who was Yin Xin Yue talking about her family. How she met Zhang Qishan at the Shanghai train station. Pretended to be the little driver. Stealing the auction invitation, Zhang Qishan pretended Pan San Bin who was accidentally her fiance. By lighting up the sky lantern thrice in the rows, Zhang Qishan won her heart. After the auction she escorted them out of Shanghai safely, in the train she met with Er Yue Hong and his wife, and they made a lovely couple. Zhang Qishan and Er Yue Hong lost their family money and antics to buy the medicine in the auction but in the end… a few days back Ya Tou… Er Yue Hong's wife died. 

Xiao Zhan needed fresh air, in the mountain cities, the sunset came quicker than the plain. He asked Adjutant Yu Bin to bring the car. Adjutant Yu Bin brought the black Mercedes Benz onto the veranda. He asked Madame Zhang to go with him on the stroll. Madame Zhang was happy to Go with him. 

Halfway through Changsha, Apart from small shops on the roadside, colonies, and markets they were not finding anything interesting until… There was a commotion outside the flexing board 'Pear Garden'. 

It was a two-story mansion. Madame Zhang told him the house belonged to Er Yue Hong. Since they were out… It was Er lang, Er Yue Hong's little brother and the maids and servants could be found inside. 

Commoners mostly males were crowding the entrance. 

He was getting inside...

A/n: I'm replacing Kuomintang with a nationalist party. So it would be the nationalist party vs the communist party. Or rather a deadly fight between Xiao Zhan's father and Wang Yibo's father. I'm making Zhang Qishan from The mystic nine friends with Xiao Zhan and Er Yue Hong brother of Wang Yibo. Which is Er Lang that I mentioned. Er Lang is Wang Yibo's character in Luoyang. Cold and aloof. But this Er Lang is... Gone through military training in my first life and was a top student. Followed by the second Xiao Zhan and the third Zhang Qishan. There will be a lot of first-life and second-life scenes and flashbacks. Stay tuned.