| 17 |

It had been a few days since the party

It had been a few days since the party. Clint had come to pick the scientist up and just as he promised, they reheated their Chinese food, grabbed some Ben & Jerry's ice cream and the two watched all three back to the future movies, snuggled on the couch with Buddy asleep at their feet.

No matter how hard Monica tried, she couldn't stop thinking back to her conversation with Phil. Learning that, for four years, Ross had been asking them to recreate the super soldier serum with gamma radiation and that there might be a chance that Bruce was still alive. Clint had asked her if she was ok whenever he'd noticed she'd gone quiet for too long, even when she answered with "I'm fine" he knew she was lying but he still didn't push her. She'd tell him when she wants.

Clint was stuck working late and Monica was stuck on ideas to pass time until Tony's contact flashed on her phone. The playboy asked for her to get herself over to his place for her opinion with something on his suit, which was his way of saying I need your help. Of course, Monica agreed.

She changed out of her sweatpants and put on a tight, black, long-sleeved shirt, her pair of high-waisted, wide-legged jeans (that Clint had complimented her ass in a few times), and black ankle boots. Grabbing her keys and phone she drove over to Tony's.

Now her she sat, in Tony's lab, giving her opinion on his suit while he tinkered around and made small adjustments. Pepper walked into the room, her heels echoing on the floor making both Monica and Tony look in her direction.

"Hey. You busy? You mind if I send you on an errand?" Tony asked, standing from his chair, "I need you to go to my office. You're going to hack into the mainframe and you're going to retrieve all the recent shipping manifests. This is a lock chip, this'll get you in." he said, handing the strawberry blonde a hard drive.

"It's probably under 'Executive files'. If not they put it on a ghost drive in which case you need to look for the lowest numeric heading." the billionaire added.

"And what do you plan to do with this information if I bring it back here?" Pepper asked.

"Same drill." He replied quickly, "They've been dealing under the table and I'm going to stop them. I'm going to find my weapons and destroy them."

"Tony," Pepper started, "You know that Monica and I would help you with anything, but I cannot help you if you're going to start all of this again." Monica sat silently in her chair, listening to the two adults go back and forth bickering with each other.

"There is nothing except this. There's no art opening. There is no benefit. There is nothing to sign. There is the next mission and nothing else."

"Is that so? Well, then, I quit." Pepper said handing the hard drive over to Monica, an upset look on her face.

The brunette just rolled her lips into a thin line, feeling very awkward just sitting there. She didn't know if she should leave and give them some privacy, or just stay seated and watch how this would fan out.