| 24 |

Monica hid behind a large pillar, phone to her ear as she tried to block out the unwanted noise of the rest of the people in the lab

Monica hid behind a large pillar, phone to her ear as she tried to block out the unwanted noise of the rest of the people in the lab. She wasn't hiding from anyone in particular she was just making sure that no one could hear her conversation. She had been taken to the S.H.I.E.L.D. base, working with the powers of the Tesseract, her Husband usually sitting high above the rest, watching over all the scientists, especially one in particular, and the blue cube like he always does.

The couple had made a deal with Fury, each other, and anyone else who knew, for their safety and the children's safety, that they wouldn't say anything about their relationship, their marriage, or even mutter the name of their twins. To every other scientist, Monica was just Doctor Waston. She wasn't Mrs. Monica Barton, the mother of Jason and Charlie Barton, or the wife of Agent Clint Barton, aka Hawkeye.

"They're both great, Monnie. All twenty toes and fingers are all there. " Mary's voice came through the phone. "Jason has warmed up to me completely. He even gave me his stuffed Elephant earlier, which is an improvement because the last time I touched it he cried."

"Oh, that's so great," Monica replied, feeling her heartache as she longed to see her babies again. "What about Charlie? How's my little Mama's Boy?"

"Charlie still hasn't warmed up to me like his brother, yet. I think he really misses you, I could've sworn I heard him call for you." Mary explained, "God, Mon. I have no idea how you do it. How can you deal with all this? And have to constantly listen to Sesame Street to stop them both from crying."

Monica laughed softly, thinking about it. "I don't know. I guess, for one, I just get used to hearing Elmo's voice every hour of the day, and two, they're my kids, something in your brain just switches ya know. There's no scientific way to prove it, it's just a mother's instinct."

"Yeah, I guess. Hey, when do you think you're going to come home?" Mary asked.

"I'm not really sure right now." Said Monica, "it's all really confusing stuff. Maybe it's just the baby brain, but I think I'm losing my touch. Why try to think of escape plans?" She laughed. She could hear Mary's laugh through the phone.

"No, no, not at all." Mary defended, "I love the kids. I just feel like you've been gone forever and I miss seeing my best friend in person." before Monica could respond, she saw Nick Fury step out of the elevator.

"Shit," She mumbled under her breath. "I know, Mary. I miss you too. Hey, I'm going to have to call you again later, alright? Things are really busy right now, and honestly, I don't think I'm meant to be talking to you while I'm in the lab."

Mary sighed, "I understand, Mon. Be safe."

"I will. Kiss the boy's goodnight for me." Pulling the phone away from her ear, he thumb hit the large, red button on the screen, ending the call. The screen flashed her home screen photo, one of the twins Mary had taken while they were away, before turning black.