8 : The Grand Prix

We are just minutes away from the start of the Bahrain Grand Prix. I couldn't wait for it to start. Hannah and I were glued to our screens to take a last look at all the different scenarios that were possible during the race.

Our biggest concern was the Ferraris.  The Ferrari's were in first and third place and in between them was Max. The pressure was on. The drivers start their warm-up lap.

I am sitting at my post between Christian and Hannah. I feel my heart racing, my hands shaking on the keyboard. I feel two hands on each of my shoulders. I look at the person they are talking to, my two neighbours were looking at me.

Christian: Whatever happens we all did our best so don't put pressure on yourself.

Hannah, as if to add something to Christian's words, squeezes my shoulder and smiles at me. I close my eyes and take a deep breath.

Me: Yes, you're right.

We focus on our screens when we hear the recognisable sounds of departure.

The lights go out and Max makes a very good start. Checo doesn't have a very good start but stays in his position so everything is fine.

Max and Charles put on a real show, both fighting against each other. Max tells us on the radio that his tyres are starting to die.

But we had planned only 2 stops after discussing with Hannah we decide to make a third stop hoping that the Ferraris will decide to follow us and take the risk as Max's tyres were new but he had also put on soft tyres while the Ferraris were on worn tyres and in medium.

After a lap and a half with his new tyres. We see Max lose power and he gets angry on the radio as we watch the engineers reveal their news. The news was disastrous.

He was forced to retire. When Max arrived in the garage he got out of the car and angrily headed for his rest room. Only Checo was left on the circuit, all our hopes were on his shoulders. But at a corner the Red Bull spins and Checo informs us that there is a problem with the engine, he can't start and has to abandon.

We see the two Ferraris cross the finish line in first and second place. On the radio we hear Charles shouting. I am happy for him but I am a Red Bull and today's race was a disaster. My first grand prix was a disaster.

I didn't feel like celebrating at all. Pierre had to abandon the race after the engine caught fire. I see Checo coming into the garage but he doesn't speak to anyone.

Max comes out of the room and heads towards the journalists after talking to Christian. The two Red Bull drivers are in front of the journalists who ask them questions about their retirement.
I stop listening to them and look at them. I move away from the group and sit down on the ground. My arms are around my legs and I look at the ground with my head resting on my knees. I stand there without moving and think about all the choices we made that would have caused this disaster.

I see the two Ferrari drivers arrive with their prize in their garage. I hear the shouts of joy from the team. The sight is unbearable and I hide my face in my lap. My heart races and my breathing becomes irregular as I see a tear running down the tarmac.

I just wanted my first grand prix to be like this.

I feel someone sit next to me. And put his arm on my shoulders.

Hannah: Hey, it's okay, Carla. It's only the first one of the season, we'll make it up to you, don't worry.

Me: I know Hannah it's just that I thought my very first Grand Prix was different.