17 : The return

Morane stays beside me and holds my shoulders. Carlos is in front of us, both hands gripping our bags. He walks to the car park, glancing at us from time to time. Morane moves closer to me.

Morane: Carla about earlier in the bathroom... I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to ruin your moment.

Me: Don't worry Mo'. You didn't ruin anything.

I smile and she nods. We pull into the car park. I open the car and Carlos puts our bags in the trunk.

Me: Thanks Carlos. You should be careful with your hand. I look at it and take it gently. The bandage was starting to turn red. You should even see a doctor.

Carlos lifts my chin with his left hand. His face is full of gentleness. His thumb gently strokes my chin.

Carlos: I'm fine. He articulates every word he had said in Spanish. And right now, the only thing I care about is you.

I look at him and answer in the same way he did before. He laughs a little and opens the passenger door. Morane was waiting for us in the car as quietly as possible so he could get out of the way as much as possible. When I enter the car I see him staring at me with a big smile on his face.

Morane: It didn't take you long to understand how to let go. She laughs

I join her quite quickly when Carlos gets into the car. He turns on the engine and the radio switches on my playlist.

I start tapping my foot to the music and singing the lyrics softly. I look at Carlos who is clapping his hands on the steering wheel of the car to the beat.

I have a little smile at the sight of the Spaniard, when the chorus comes on he can't stop singing. He is joined by Morane at the back of the car. I laugh and decide to join them.

The whole trip is in good spirits. We sing and dance in the car to the rhythm of the music. When we arrive at the airport, Carlos accompanies us to the jet. I meet Checo and Max. Max looks at me with a sheet in his hand. He signals me that the jet will soon take off.

Morane quickly says goodbye to Carlos. When she has her back to him. She turns to me and gives me a thumbs up. I hide my laughter by coughing.

We both find ourselves facing each other. We look into each other's eyes without either of us making the first move. After a few seconds he takes a step towards me. He takes a strand of my hair in his fingers.

Carlos: Take care of yourself while I'm gone Cariño. I only nod. He brings his lips to my forehead and kisses me, a gesture that had become a habit with him. I will miss you.

At these words I wrap my arms around him and pull him tightly around me. Carlos, surprised by my gesture, relaxes and hugs me back. My face is buried in his neck.

Me: I'm going to miss you too Carlos.

I tell him softly. I feel his embrace getting stronger. He places a kiss in my hair. We are cut off by Max pulling his head out of the jet.

Max: Carla we have to go now.

Carlos and I hurriedly step aside. Max stands in front of the door of the jet and looks at both of us with a stern look. I turn back to Carlos.

Me: I'll text you when I get there.

Carlos: Yes, me too.

Carlos looks at me quickly and turns his gaze to Max. I know Max is watching us from the top of the stairs. I give him a small smile and join Max and the others in the jet.

I sit down in a seat by the window and see Carlos still in the same place. He looks at me and waves. I respond by waving back

Max: Don't tell me there's something going on between you and Carlos.

I turn around hurriedly and see Max sitting next to me.

Me: What? No! It's just that something happened today and he helped me. Max nods. He looks annoyed and holds back from saying a few things. What max?

Max: Nothing just that you can't. I look at him with a frown. He's our biggest competitor, nothing can happen between you.

Morane: No, but mind your own business. You're friends with the other pilots, so why not her. She sits down opposite Max.

Max: I am a pilot. She's a strategist, she can't.

Me: So I'm not allowed to make friends outside our team just because I'm a strategist.

Max: No I didn't say that. You can be friends with them but nothing more.

Me: Nothing is going on between me and Carlos. I tell him, articulating each syllable well. And just so you know, it's my life, my career and my choices so you have no reason to impose your rules on me.

I unbuckle myself and move to the opposite seat from Max. My best friend follows me.

Morane: Well said sis. Now you should get some sleep, it will do you good and then you have a long day tomorrow.

I look at my schedule in Morane's hands and see that my day is filled with sports and simulator sessions.

I just nod to my best friend and fall asleep on her shoulder.

I wake up, we have already arrived in London. My best friend smiles.

Morane: good sleep, groundhog.

Me: yeah I think I needed to catch up on my sleep.

She laughs and we get off the jet. I was in great shape, which was good because I had my sports session starting in half an hour.

My week was busy. There was no grand prix this weekend so Christian and Helmut Marko had prepared a crazy schedule for me.

When I arrived at the flat I sent a short message to Carlos as promised

Me: I arrived safely. Have a nice day Carlos.

We have breakfast with my best friend before I get ready for my workout. I see my best friend throw herself on the bed as I am about to leave.

Me: Good night sleeping beauty. I laugh.

She doesn't even flinch anymore, already too tired. I laugh one last time and specify myself outside. I decide to walk to the room which is 15 minutes away.

I join Tom and we start my workout. I get a notification that it's Carlos.

Carlos: Okay, me too. Have a good day Carlita. See you in a week.

It's going to be a very long week...

_________________________

Hi everyone

I don't know about you but I love this chapter

So what do you think about Carlos and Carla? And Max's behaviour?

Kisss

CMD