Chapter 4: The solution?

(We are still in Mario's POV)

In the morning, I went to see Luigi in his room. He was sitting on his bed, still looking miserable.

''Hi Weegee!" I said.

Without saying a word and without smiling, he gave me a weak wave with his hand. I didn't need to tell him if he was okay or not, I already knew the answer... Oof...

Then suddenly, he made a sign to me to approach him. I obeyed. Was he finally going to talk to me?

"M-M-Mario...'' called out a faint voice, the one I knew well and that I hadn't heard for a long time... The one from my brother.

"Yes, bro?'' I answered with a soft smile.

"I... want to... talk to...(Y/N)..." he said quietly.

It was surprising that he wanted to talk to (Y/N) instead of me, his own brother...

Luigi added in his trembling voice:

"E-even though... sh-she dislikes me..."

I widened my eyes. That was wrong! (Y/N) didn't hate him!

"But Weegee... She doesn't hate you, I'm sure! She considers you her best-a friend, you know?"

I hugged my brother. I felt his warm tears on my shoulder. I did my best to comfort him as he sobbed:

"B-best friend? She p-pushed me! I'm-a pretty sure she doesn't care about me anymore...''

"Eeeeeh... no... I don't think she did it on purpose to push you... Is it because of this event that you are in this state?"

I felt Luigi nod weakly. I released him from my arms and put my hand on his shoulder in a reassuring way. I looked at him, then offered:

"Oooooh... look, I'll tell her to come talk to you. I'm sure she'll agree!"

"You think so?'

"Yeah!"

"I-I would be a little more reassured if you didn't ask her directly..."

"Okay, Weegee."

I didn't understand why he didn't want me to speak directly to (Y/N)... But hey, I'll do whatever he asks. I hated to see him in that state of sadness. But I was glad he talked to me a little.

I walked out of his room, closing the door gently. Then I took my phone and called one of (Y/N's) good friends: Daisy.

"Hello?" she said, on the other end of the phone line.

"Hello! It's-a me, Mario!"

"Hey Mario! How are you? Have you heard from Luigi?"

"Oh, I'm fine... But Luigi's not doing well."

"Noooo, it's not true?"

"Yes," I said, unhappy. "He's been worrying me a lot for the last two days. I tried to make him happy but in vain..."

"Ooooh... It's sad... What can I do to help him?"

"If you don't mind, call (Y/N) and tell her to come here. Luigi wants to talk to her and would like you to give her the message.

"Okay! I'll tell her right now!"

"Okie-dokie! Thank you!"

"No problem, Mario! Bye!"

"Bye-bye!"

I hung up. (Y/N) should be here any minute...