~Chapter I|Part I~

"Stop her! She's not one of us! Stop that monstrosity!"

She continued to run through the maze of alleyways to avoid the group of witches attempting to capture her. Y/N was a witch. Of course, she was! She grew up in the Boiling Isles and could use magic. However, she wasn't just any witch. She was known as a Mage. Unlike witches, a specific species of magic users, mages were descendants of humans who had traveled from the human realm to the demon realm through the unknown and had evolved to appear almost identical to witches, even evolving to have their own bile sacks. For many historians, this was still a mystery as to how this had occurred, but for mages like Y/N, nothing mattered except getting the hell away from danger.

She hit a dead end and turned around to face a mob of witches, ready to attack her at any moment. Y/N lifted her arms to protect her face and suddenly heard a metallic clicking sound. She slowly lowered her guard and saw a golden figure with a white cloak standing in front of her with a defensive stance. Was he protecting her?

ᓚᘏᗢ

It was just another day at Hexside. Y/N placed her mandolin in her locker along with her textbooks for later classes. "Y/N!" "Good morning!" She turned around with a smile on her face. Like always, her friends Willow and Gus would come to greet her. She would always try to come to school early to greet them first, but they always seemed to beat her to it. "Hey, guys! How's it going?" She smiled, patting her friends' heads. "Abominations are not my strong suit... but I'm working at it!" "And I'm practicing some new illusions! I'll have to show you guys when I master them!" They looked at Y/N intently, and she answered with a blank, confused stare. "What about you? How are your healing spells coming along?" She smiled and took her mandolin out of her locker. "I know I'm only supposed to stick to one track, but... bard magic keeps calling out to me. So, I've been writing music that works as healing spells!- does that sound lame...?" Y/N looked down and turned her food back and forth, nervous to hear what her friends had to say.

When she looked up at their faces, their eyes were filled with awe and inspiration. "That's so amazing! Of course, it's not lame! We didn't know bard magic even had healing capabilities!" They congratulated her in unison. Y/N blushed somewhat in embarrassment but mainly felt flattered and supported by the friends she cared for so much. Before she could thank them, the bell rang. Willow and Gus said their goodbyes, and Y/N made her way to the Healing homeroom, mandolin in hand, for her homemade spell presentation.

ᓚᘏᗢ

She was nervous. She wasn't sure how her teacher or classmates would react to her combining magic types, but for her, it made sense to combine healing with music. "Alright. Y/N? Are you ready for your presentation?" She gulped and stood up from her desk, cradling her mandolin. The students looked at her with gaped mouths and disbelief, but her teacher was surprisingly calm and smiled gently. This made her feel more comfortable. "I'm ready, Mr. Basylisco." (and yes, her teacher is a Basilisk... kind of; Half witch and half basilisk, hence his last name). He slithered to his desk and sat patiently as Y/N tuned her instrument.

She began to play a soft melody, and the room started to light up with soft glowing orbs appearing around the classroom. Each is a different color, and each one radiates its unique alleviating aura. Mr. Basylisco gazed around the room in awe and looked back at Y/N, admiring her passion for healing and bard magic. A student with a scar across his cheek saw a purple orb floating toward him and felt it touch his face. His friend pulled out a mirror and showed him that his scar was gone entirely.

When she finished her melody, the class sat there in silence before whispering amongst themselves. "That was...unique, to say the least. However, we don't combine magic at this school, or any school on the Boiling Isles, for that matter." Y/N's smile faded, and she looked down at her shoes. "I took your lessons to heart and wanted to heal with the soothing sounds of music..." "I'll still give you a B for successfully writing a spell, but you have to keep your focus on one track... for your own good. But I guess you did very well, even for a mage!"

And there it was. Y/N's smile faded after that comment. Yes, she was a mage. A witch, but yet, still partly human. Most of the students treated her differently because of it. Not only was she a different species, but mages come from the Frozen Shoals, a completely different environment to the Boiling Isles, and as most historians would argue, full of hidden treasures and mysteries. Y/N tilted her head as a "thanks" and sat back at her desk, sulking.

ᓚᘏᗢ

She had come back home dragging her feet and sulking. She looked like gelatin, moving with the strength of the wind as she lacked the mental energy to fix her posture. "Hoot! Y/N! How was your presentation?! I bet you nailed it!" Hooty greeted her from the entrance of the Owl House. She caressed his cheek and smiled sadly. "Not this time... I didn't get a horrible grade, but... my teacher brought up the- uh... mage thing." Hooty's joyful smile turned into a sympathetic frown. He wrapped his body around Y/N to try his best to "hug" her in a way. "Well, Eda's inside with King, so maybe just spending time with some friends might help," Hooty suggested. Y/N nodded and opened the door.

Sitting on the couch was King, talking to Francois, his plush rabbit, while Eda was cooking dinner in the kitchen. Y/N placed her backpack near the door and walked over to King. He looked up at her and grinned with uncontrollable excitement. "Y/N! You're back! I missed you!" "Heh. I missed you too, King. How's Francois?"

Y/N had been living in the Owl House for most of her life, being taken in after the Emperor's Coven invaded the Frozen Shoals. Eda was, in a sense, her mother and King, her little brother. So, she always tried to play along with King when she could.

"He's doing fine. But he's not listening to my commands." King huffed and crossed his arms, starting to pout in frustration. Y/N couldn't help but chuckle and how cute he always was when angry. Sometimes, he got so frustrated that he would make a loud, high-pitched scream. It always cracked Eda and Y/N up. "He'll listen eventually. You have to be more assertive. Show him who King is!" King stood up triumphantly and looked up at Y/N. "You think I can do it?" "I know you can, bud."

She walked over next to Eda and gave her a side hug. Eda looked over at her and smiled gently. "Missed ya, kid. How was school?" Y/N's smile faded, and she looked down. "It was alright. My presentation wasn't met with praise but... I got a B, so I guess that's not too bad." Eda patted the top of her head reassuringly. Y/N was, in essence, a "wild witch" and had been taught by her ever since she started living with her, mainly because Eda saw a lot of herself in Y/N, but she would've taken care of her either way. "At least he chose to grade you this time, huh?" Eda pointed out, trying her best to cheer Y/N. It obviously worked a little bit because Y/N went from a sad face to a hearty chuckle.

Eda went to open up a cabinet for an ingredient for her "masterpiece." Alas, it wasn't there. She frantically looked through every possible cabinet in her kitchen, and still, nothing. Y/N tilted her head in confusion, "Whatcha lookin' for, Eda?" "Agh Titan... I ran out of Beetle Juice..." Eda found the bottle of the liquid she needed... empty, that is. "I can get it for you if you need me to. The Night Market is in a few hours. I can head out then!" "You just want to look at the enchanted flower stand, don't you." Y/N blushed in embarrassment. She goes out almost every night to look at the different enchanted flowers Ms. Florence, the vendor, grows and sells. "Yes... but I'll also pick up the Beetle Juice. Eheh..." "Okay then. I guess dinner will have to be without mama's special spice, but I'll make it again sometime this week. Oh, and could you get 2 or 3 bottles? So that we don't have to worry about it." Y/N nodded and headed to her room for the time being.

ᓚᘏᗢ

Y/N checked outside her window and saw the lights of the market in the center of Bonesborough. She got her satchel bag and started packing money and items to trade (just in case she didn't have enough snails). She saw a moving hump from underneath her covers. Smirking to herself, she snuck softly towards her bed as though prepping herself to pounce. Unfortunately, the hump beat her to it. "Ah! You got me! Blegh!" She stated overdramatically as she faked her attack by falling onto the floor. It was Y/N's palisman, P/N. She was a purple fox with pink floral patterns all over her fur and feathered wings with a beautiful ombre from purple to pink (start to end). Unlike Palismen of the Boiling Isles, Frozen Shoals' palismen always had an animal of choice AND a unique pattern to compliment them (which always took extra time to carve in palistrom wood, especially when it was frozen solid). She scratched P/N's chin, just the way she liked it, and she proceeded to hop into Y/N's bag, ready to see the enchanted flowers too. She always liked accompanying Y/N wherever she went. The Night Market was no different. "Alright, let's get going."

(1728 Words (oˆ▿ˆ)o✏️)