12-Vengeance and old friends

"You insolent girl," her mother yelled as the transpicuous shards fell on the ground, like a programmed avalanche. Evelyn picked herself up quietly, gathering her purse off the chair's back. One foot passed the pieces of broken anger, and the other, the stumbling steps of her mother.

Heeseung gazed and smiled and rose as well. His eyes set on the man that has only been standing, listening, nodding and occasionally peeking at the devil. Charles looked back but, then again, his eyes ran to his wife, nervously.

"But, Masako, I don't want my sister to leave. I have missed her so. And after she's been so hard to find," Connor let out and simpered, visually pleased with having reminded Evelyn the "things they had to do to get in touch with her".

"I'm not your sister. And I don't owe any of you anything. I only hope you can forget about me, like you did when you kicked me out." Evelyn stood straight and expressionless, not letting anyone speak another word as she dashed out through the door with Heeseung trailing her.

She breathed out the dirty air of New York once more and they were off.

No amount of trying or of coaxing pretty words out of her mouth could fix their situation. There is nothing to be fixed, because it was nothing there to begin with.

He was quiet on the road, but at once breathed in, tapped his fingers on the steering wheel and asked her quietly, "How did you manage after they kicked you out?"

"Part time jobs and some of my dad's money," she replied lowly, playing with the hem of her white shirt. "I was already admitted to college, I just didn't tell them. After a year of living at dorm, I raised enough money to pay rent. And now I'm here." She lifted her eyebrows quick and fidgety.

The road is bare and wet from the earlier shower of rain. Some raven croaks outside, but she can't hear it. The moon is about to emerge into the sky. And all she can think of is a cup of coffee.

After time rusted and any feelings she could have called "love" sagged beneath the hatred they provoked, it became all too easy not to think of them.

Not all parents love their children and not all children love their parents.

She turned her head to him and smiled softly. "Now you get why I like my house so much."

The brims of his lips tug upwards as the raven shrills again with its gray beak opening wide and funny.

"I always knew," he said, but only in his mind.

The first third of the road passed smoothly and silently, like they were not who they were, but two lovers sharing moments of inner closeness. The way love is supposed to be shared.

Evelyn fell asleep by the time they were half their distance and her small snores echoed into the car, gingerly, like a chip of evening birds.

Heeseung checks her eyes again and taps on her forehead, albeit knowing how heavy she sleeps, once in the REM state. It never takes her long to close her eyes and not open them even if someone chops wood on top of her. And with that reassurance, he confessed.

He breathes in and looks at her parted lips and cover-hands. "I'll fix it for you."

...

His hands raffle her head teasingly as she shuts her eyes and frowns. "Are you sure you'll be alright, babe?"

She widens her eyes, exasperated. "Don't exaggerate. I will be perfectly well for however long you're gone. Go, now. You're starting to annoy me."

Heeseung sticks his lips to her hair, jailing her head sternly. "But I'm always annoying you."