New Boy in School...And He's a Vampire?! [Chapter Seventeen]

The next morning when I woke up, my body stung painfully from the cold. I didn’t have a blanket anymore and my torso was covered in blood. Within seconds of me waking up, Abigail was walking toward my cell. She unlocked it, walked and and handed me another blanket, all without really looking at me. I knew it was her way of giving me some privacy and I was grateful.

This blanket was the exact shade of blood. It was silk, thin and not very warm at all. However, it was better than nothing.

Abigail then held up one finger, indicating to wait and disappeared, leaving my cell door open.

I was too shocked to move. It couldn’t be that easy? Why would she leave the cell door open, when I could escape?

Abigail appeared, ruining my chance. She smiled and handed me some food. It was the same thing as usual. It tasted awful, but I still practically inhaled it in my haste to ease the hunger pains.

Abigail gave me a serious look and I paused in the middle of drinking the glass of water. “Kaiden was here earlier. He had a bunch of other people here too.” She said quietly, hovering nervously above me.

I nearly choked on my water but then recovered. If he was here, why hadn’t he come get me?

She saw my reaction and went on. “He didn’t come to fight this time. He just wanted to...strike a deal. Of course, he couldn’t. Charles told him about what he’d done to you.” She paused, taking a deep breath. “Kaiden has declared an official war.”

I snorted and she looked shocked. “Official war? They’re declaring a war against each other? Isn’t that slightly dramatic?”

Abigail shook her head, frowning at my lack of concern. “It’s like when the President of your world declares that you’re going to have a war with another country. Each side gathers men and weapons and starts to fight. In this case, the fighting is a lot dirtier. The soldiers are all trained in combat before hand, when they become soldiers for kingdom. The royals however, don’t fight in the front line. They do all the dirty fighting. One side will hold a loved one hostage, in this case it’s you, and the other side will come and fight to get them back.” She explained.

“I see.” I muttered, thinking how stupid it all sounded. “Why hadn’t Kaiden just killed him when he came here? You said he had a lot of other people with him.”

She nodded. “He probably could have, but I don’t think that the other people were really trained for that kind of thing and I think he thought maybe Charles had soldiers at his beck-and-call.”

Oh. Well that made sense then.

Abigail stood up, walking back to the door quickly. “I’d better be off then.”

I nodded, smiling gratefully. She’d been so kind.

“I’ll try to bring more food soon.” She whispered as she shut the cell door.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It must have been at least twenty-four hours later before I heard a single sound or saw any lights. At this point, I was pretty sure that Charles had boarded up the few small windows. Although, my hunger pains were so bad and I was so cold that I couldn’t really see well enough to tell if it had been light.

No one came to see me. No one gave me food. I had absolutely no sense of time so I tried to keep track by how I slept. Eventually I stopped being able to fall asleep though, since my torso seemed to be breaking in half and I shook violently with cold.

It would be the understatement of the century to say that I was relieved when the door finally opened. Of course, unsurprising to anyone, no relief came once I saw who it was.

It was a man I’d never seen before. He had a long, scraggly beard and a scarred face. His mouth was twisted into a lop-sided and creepy grin that made my skin crawl. When he walked to my cell door and unlocked it, I pressed myself back against the wall, covering myself as much as possible.

“Dontch’ you worry now, darlin’.” He drawled in a gruff voice. I shivered as he opened the door and came to kneel in front of me. He pulled a long, dull-looking blade out of his coat.

“I’m gonna ask you some questions.” He said.

I didn’t move a muscle or respond in any way. “This buddy ‘o yours.” He started, turning the blade over absently in his hands. “We wanna know what he’s plannin’.”

I gaped at him, not knowing who he was talking about. He elaborated slowly. “This Kaiden ‘o yours.”

“How would I know what he’s planning?” I demanded. “I’ve been locked up here!”

“Now, now, pretty lady.” He said, holding up one hand. “There ain’t no reason to get a tone. I just want to have a comfortable conversation.” He continued rolling the blade over.

“You seem to know ‘im pretty well. Maybe you can guess what’s goin’ through his head.” He suggested, his lips curling up into a vicious smile.

I remained quiet as a statue. Even if I had known, I wouldn’t have said anything.

“I didn’t wanna make this hard.” He grunted, leaning forward. “But I guess we have ta’.”

He swung the blade across the air in front of me quickly, gracefully. My cheek seared and I felt blood start to run down. He grinned evilly. “Know anythin’ now?”

I froze, clamping my mouth shut. No way was I going to get Kaiden in anymore trouble then he already was.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hours later, I was pretty sure it was almost over. I was laying in a pool of my own blood and I couldn’t feel most of my body, whether from cold or loss of blood, I didn’t know. I was barely aware of how hungry and thirsty I was.

I looked down at my hands, all cut up and useless, just like the rest of my body.

It took me a few more minutes to form a full, coherent thought, but when I did, I thought about Kaiden. I felt like such a bitch. The last time I’d talked to him, we’d gotten into a fight. Well, it wasn’t even really a fight. I’d just upset him by saying that I wanted to go home.

I should have told him what I really meant to say. I should have told him that I wanted him to stay with me. But no, I had to be stubborn and not correct myself, figuring he’d get over it.

What if I never saw him again?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
KAIDEN’S POV

“Shit.” Joshua’s father cussed quietly.

We were all standing around in a circle, debating. Joshua and Malachi were on my sides, with Sam clinging to Joshua and Joshua’s sister, Ariana, close beside Malachi. From this position I was probably the only one that could see that Ariana’s hand was barely touching Malachi’s side. It made me curious but I didn’t voice my question. This wassonot the time for that.

In front of us were Joshua’s parents and Sam’s brothers, who were both vampires. They’d agreed to come and help us out, if we needed it. It looked like we did. Malachi, Joshua and I had also called forth as many friends as we could find. They were scattered around the room, watching us with tense eyes.

In the background, we could hear Joshua’s youngest sister playing From Heads Unworthy by Rise Against. I smiled, thinking of Celia. That was one of her favorites.

“Maybe if we just try to talk to them again...” Joshua’s mother, Scarlet tried, her eyes anxious. I shook my head, my smile vanishing.

My tone was harsh. “You know we can’t do that. We can’t afford to lose any more time! And think about it rationally. What good will it do? He won’t give in. And what if he blames Celia? What if they do something to her to piss us of or to get information from her. Or just because they can?” I was shaking with anger by the end of it. Malachi put a hand on my shoulder. “We need to go and get her. Now.”

No one responded so I took the opportunity and asked for a moment. Joshua’s father nodded reluctantly. I knew we had n o time, we had to go now. But needed a minute to myself. I had to think things over.

Celia could be dead; I could not deny that. But I didn’t think she was. I’d feel differently, I was sure of it. Besides, it wouldn’t make sense for them to kill her. They wouldn’t have any reason for me to go there if they didn’t have her. Although I’d love to have all this end, I wouldn’t risk my family and friends if it wasn’t important. And Celia was.

It was a risk. Any one of us could get hurt. Malachi, Joshua, Ariana, Sam. Especially Sam.

My thoughts flickered to her briefly. She was so sweet and fragile but also so headstrong. It was easy to see why Joshua was allowing her to come with us, but I still didn’t agree. I knew she wasn’t a little girl and she really wasn’t weak, no matter how small and human she was. Joshua would be devastated if something happened to her. Joshua’s whole family was on the line here, as well as all his friends. It wasn’t fair to ask that of him.

And Malachi. He’d been my best friend for many, many years. We’d been through everything together. He’d never met Ariana, not until yesterday. They hadn’t been apart for a second since then. No one else seemed to know, what with the current situation, but he could see it. Malachi was never that quiet to towards a girl, he was never not flirting with them or making crude jokes. He was usually boisterous, not sweet.

I smiled to myself for a brief moment before trudging back into the meeting room. Everyone was there, completely silent. They all looked up expectantly.

“It’s not fair of me to ask this of you.” I started. Joshua opened his mouth to contradict me but I waved my hand to silence him. “It’s not fair, but I’m asking you, anyway. I need help, I can’t deny that. It’ll be risky. My parents know what they’re doing. We can just walk in and get her and you better bet that they have soldiers already assembled. We can’t come out from this unscratched. If you feel that it’s too big of a risk or not worth it, I will not hold it against you. You can choose to leave; I won’t force you to stand by me.”

No one moved. “We’re all with you, Kaiden.” My friend David said from across the room. I smiled gratefully.

Malachi thumped me on the back, grinning. “Don’t try to weasel out of this.” He said. I opened my mouth to protest but Joshua’s father called order to the suddenly loud room.

“Before we do anything, I think we should all get to know each other, on a first name basis, at least.” He grinned at us. “I’m Aldric, this is my wife Elizabeth and my daughter Ariana.” He indicated Joshua’s mother and sister. “And I’m sure I don’t have to introduce you to my son, Joshua.” He laughed. He was right, almost everyone that came had known him before and if they didn’t, they knew him now.

We went around the room, introducing ourselves to Joshua’s parents. There turned out to be thirty-eight of us here, not including Joshua’s parents and Ariana.

I noticed one figure standing in the back of the room, leaning against the wall. His light brown hair was pulled back into a discreet tie at the nape of his neck. He wore a leather jacket and worn jeans.

“Court?” I asked in astonishment, walking toward him quickly. Everyone parted and started between the two of us. We embraced and when he pulled away, his dark eyes were gleaming.

“It’s been too long, brother.” He said, bowing slightly. He laughed and I tried to smile back. It think it came out wrong though, because he said, “Don’t worry, we’ll get her.”

I just nodded, unable to speak. It was so great to see Court again. I hadn’t seen him in years. But my body was starting to ache.

“Did any of the others...” I trailed off when he shook his head.

“They won’t go up against you but they won’t fight against mom and dad.” He explained. I nodded.

I understood. I wouldn’t ask them to do that, not for me or anyone else. I was more than grateful that Court had come.

I turned to Joshua’s father again. “I feel off.” I stated. He raised his eyebrows and I hesitated, not sure how to describe it. “I feel kind of...like I’m in pain only not really.”

Aldric nodded thoughtfully. “I thought you might. It’ll be because of Celia, I expect.” He said.

I raised my eyebrows. “Celia?” What would that have to do with anything?

He nodded, gazing at his hands. “Because you marked her, you shared that link. If you’re feeling her pain, I imagine she must be feeling quite a bit. When she gets close to...when she feels severe pain, I believe that your bond will let you feel some as a signal of sorts. You should be able to find her more easily, that way.”

The entire room was still. Besides Sam’s heartbeat, which had picked up pace, there wasn’t a sound in it. I closed my eyes as another wave of pain rippled through me.

Who’s was it this time; mine or hers?

Someone’s hand came down on my shoulder lightly. I opened my eyes to see Malachi standing in front of me. “Ready?” He asked.

I nodded. It was time.

It didn’t take us long to get to the castle; we caught a portal that put us nearly on the front deck.

It was eerie. Too quiet, too still. More pain rippled through me and I lead us quicker around the back. It was getting worse now. Instead of just the initial shock, it lasted longer and grew worse the longer it stayed. I started to run faster.

We kept to the side of the castle as we ran across the lawn, still going cautiously, all of us holding our breath. The trees thickened around the back, leaving many shadows and places for vampires to hide. Anything could jump out at us, but we trudged forward still.

Suddenly, Joshua stopped, holding up his hand. Another of my friends pushed forward and glanced around nervously.

“Listen.” Joshua commanded. We all strained our ears, almost as one.

“Duck!” Malachi yelled, yanking Sam and Ariana down with him. Some of us almost didn’t make it before the arrows, wooden of course, started to shoot through the night. It was too dark to really seem them so we did some quick guesswork on the direction they’d come from.

“Hail North!” Joshua commanded, raising his hand and pointing in front of us.

Suddenly people were everywhere and the trees were on fire. Malachi and Ariana were fighting side by side, Ariana brandishing a deadly looking stake. Joshua was trying very hard to not to let Sam do anything, or rather not to let her need to do anything. However, when she did, she seemed to hold her own pretty well. Joshua’s parents were engaged separately but still within a quick vicinity of each other.

I didn’t see my parents anywhere and guessed that they were hiding in the war room upstairs. What cowards.

I thought about grabbing Sam and taking her with me, where it may be safer, but decided against it. Joshua would worry less if she was with him and he was doing fine protecting her. I also didn’t have time. If I had to carry Celia, I couldn’t have Sam to slow me up, too. And I wouldn’t be able to watch over her as well if something happened.

I fought my way to the door, receiving a good blow to my shoulder. As I moved as fast as I could to the house, I stopped, feeling a pain. It wasn’t in my shoulder. I was inside me. I almost doubled over with the weight of it. Instinctively, I went to the basement, knowing Celia would be there.

I was right. When I opened the doors, there was a staircase and then one long cell. She was curled up in the corner. I could hear her labored heartbeat but her breathing was slow so I guessed that she was unconscious. I walked to the bars and yanked hard, to no prevail. Examining Celia, I noticed that she was naked, with only a tiny blanket covering her.

I turned to find another way to break the cell bars, but a girl was already there. She pushed me aside and thrust a key into the hole, swinging the door open. I stared at her for a moment, before slowly stepping into the cell, keeping my eyes on her.

“I won’t trap you. I want to help.” She whispered quickly. “Hurry.”

I grabbed Celia swiftly and was back out of the cell in almost one motion. I kept Celia’s blanket as well wrapped around her as I could. She shivered slightly and then lifted her head, gazing up at me in wonder.

“Hi.” I whispered, smiling. She smiled and rested her head against my shoulder. I paused, looking at the woman. “Thanks.”

Celia lifted her head again and smiled. “Go, Abigail.” She whispered. Abigail shook her head sadly. “Go.” She repeated more firmly. Abigail opened her mouth, looking like she was going to object. “You can be free.”

There was a horrible crash from above us and Abigail looked at me. “Follow me.” I said quickly.

In the foyer, we could see the others. Joshua had Sam on his back and both were swinging away at the other vampires. Sam looked the picture of ease, laughing and brandishing a deadly spear easily. Ariana and Malachi were back to back. Malachi looked kind of bored but Ariana looked vicious and exhilarated, her hair down and her shirt torn. Joshua’s parents weren’t in sight but I suspected that they were near. Court was battling it out with some big bloke, grinning wickedly. He spotted me and waved cheekily. I snickered in light of the situation. Abigail looked frightened and confused by my laugh. I guessed that she’d never fought before.

“This way.” I shouted to her, above all the chaos. She nodded and followed.

We ran up the stairs three at a time, really flying. I looked around quickly. It had been a long time since I’d been here, but I still remembered the way.

As we were making our way to Charles’ war room, as he liked to call it, we passed a door on the left. At first glance, I thought it was empty. Then Abigail gave a terrified shriek. There was the briefest silence, as if everything had stopped and then Celia screamed and started to struggle against my arms, with more power than I expected her to have.

Abigail collapsed, having been stabbed by one of my parents. I put Celia down and stepped in front of her, half protecting her and half holding her back.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
CELIA’S POV

We were practically flying up the stairs; it was so quick and smooth I could barely tell we were moving. If I’d closed my eyes, I wouldn’t have known. We passed an empty room and Kaiden paused a fraction of a second. It was enough.

Abigail screamed and I whipped my head around. Rose was standing in front of her, pressing something wooden into her middle. Abigail collapsed.

I screamed and started to push myself out of Kaiden’s arms. I had to get to Abigail. I had to make her get up. She couldn’t be dead, she couldn’t...

Blood was staining her blue dress, making it darken around the stake. Kaiden shifted me, setting me behind him and pressing me back, against the wall. He was protecting me but also holding me, making sure I couldn’t move. I stopped struggling as Charles started to speak.

I only heard snatches, he was talking so fast. Kaiden leaned forward, talking fast as well. His fangs were out and he looked vicious.

It wasn’t even comparable with Charles, though. He looked like something straight out of a horror movie. He had blood streaked across his shirt and he was baring his fangs. His face was contorted with rage.

“You won’t take it from us!” Rose suddenly shouted, pointing her finger at Kaiden.

Charles suddenly grabbed a hold of Kaiden’s shirt, yanking him forward and shoving him into the wall. They started to fight, moving so fast I barely caught glimpses of what was happening. It almost looked like they were dancing. Kaiden hit Charles in the face, knocking him off balance. Kaiden continued to hit him, over and over, until Charles finally gained control again and knocked Kaiden’s legs out from under him.

Rose watched for a moment and then turned to me with a fierce, twisted smile. She took a small step forward, her expression mocking. “I’ll make it quick.” She hissed before moving quickly toward me. She grabbed my shoulders and pounded me back against the wall, knocking my head against it. My stomach turned queasy and I looked around us quickly, searching for a way out. Something caught my eye and I ducked out of Rose’s hands. The action was unexpected by Rose, who no doubt thought I’d stand there and take it, that I actually broke free. I plunged toward Abigail reaching out. I closed my eyes and pretended that I wasn’t about to do this, only for a second. I grabbed the stake and yanked at it, pulling it free from Abigail. I almost lost control doing it, but I was just quick enough. Again, this action was unexpected by Rose. She ran for me, almost too fast for me to see, and all I had to do was brace myself against the wall and aim. Her force and what little power I put behind the stake caused her to land right against me, crushing me and driving the stake into her chest. She reached up to my face, as if to claw at me but her body turned limp after a second and I felt her blood seeping onto my shirt.

I let the smallest cry escape my lips. I’d just killed someone. She was an evil, cold-hearted bitch that was out to get me, but still. I dropped the stake and immediately a hand flashed out and grabbed it.

My head snapped up in time to see Malachi running toward Charles and Kaiden. They were locked together in a fierce dance and I had no idea what was happening. My head was spinning and my vision was becoming cloudy. I probably couldn’t have kept up under the best health conditions.

Malachi rushed into the fight and disappeared too. There was a horrible grating sound and a groan, then someone said something. I heard it like I was underwater and the words got all jumbled. I thought maybe I heard the word ‘over’ but maybe not.

Suddenly Kaiden was crouching in front of me, his hand resting on my cheek. “Come on.” He said, smiling genuinely.