i. viserys (104-106 AC)

[italicized text indicates high valyrian dialogue]

All the lords from the Seven Kingdoms gathered in King's Landing for King Viserys' tournament. His wife, Aemma Arryn had suffered a series of miscarriages throughout their marriage, Rhaenyra being their only living child. She was doted on by both of her parents. However, Viserys wanted to host a tournament to celebrate Aemma's current pregnancy because she has carried this baby fully to term, and they were both excited about the prospect of having a second living child.

Rhaenyra was also excited to have a sibling, although she told Alana that she would never be replaced in her life. She wanted to have a sibling in the same way Alana had Laenor and Laena. With Laena Velaryon being the oldest of the clan, she was very protective of both Laenor and Alana.

When Daemon had escorted the girls back from the dragonpit, their ladies-in-waiting immediately prepared baths and dresses for them. Although Alana's title wasn't technically princess, she is the daughter of a princess, the granddaughter of a prince, and the great-granddaughter of a former king, so Viserys made sure that his young cousins were always treated befitting their stations whenever they were in King's Landing.

Rhaenyra was dressed in a gown of traditional Targaryen black and red. The dress was red but it had black etchings throughout the stitching. Alana was dressed in sea blue to represent House Velaryon, with etchings of black throughout the stitching to represent House Targaryen, since she is a product of both the dragon and the sea. Their gowns brought out their purple eyes, Rhaenyra's just a touch of a shade lighter than her cousin's.

"Do you think your mother will give birth to a son?" Alana asked as she and Rhaenyra were being escorted to the tournament. She and Rhaenyra often spoke in High Valyrian when they were in places where they could be overheard so that they could still speak freely with each other.

"I would hope so, then my father can finally have his heir," Rhaenyra responded.

"What will happen if the baby is another girl?" Alana asked.

"Then my Uncle Daemon will become King. He is technically Father's heir until he has a son," Rhaenyra said.

"What if cousin Viserys named you heir instead? You are his child," Alana said.

"Yes, but I'm not a son," Rhaenyra said.

"That should not matter. I was doing some reading and it was recorded that our great-grandmother, Queen Alysanne, believed that an heir should be named based on birth order not gender. My grandsire Aemon had an older sister, Daenerys who died from the shivers but Alysanne tried to push the king to name Daenerys as heir because she was older," Alana said.

"And the King decided not to," Rhaenyra pointed out.

"Yes, but this King, your father could decide to name you heir. My mother was my grandsire's heir and she was skipped over. My father chose Laenor as his heir even though Laena is older. Your father could be different than those before and around him. You are his child, his blood, and you have just as much of a right to the throne as my mother did," Alana said. Rhaenyra looked at her cousin and their conversation paused once they reached the tournament. Alana and Rhaenyra were presented to the King, and he kissed both of their foreheads after they curtsied to him. Seated at Viserys' right was his Hand, Otto Hightower, who was brought to King's Landing by Jaehaerys after his son, Baelon died. Baelon had been Hand to the Old King when he became heir after Aemon was killed.