iv. alicent (111 AC)

Alicent Hightower sought out her husband after receiving disturbing news

Alicent Hightower sought out her husband after receiving disturbing news. The Queen had been biding her time for years and being smart. She wants her son on the throne and she had no intention of losing what she wanted. She was brought information a few nights ago from Larys Strong. She doesn't trust his motives, but what he said was troubling enough that Alicent figured if she brought it to the King, he would disinherit his daughter and name her son as his heir.

Ever since her father got fired, Alicent had to play it safe. Otto Hightower was her loudest supporter that her son, Aegon, should be the heir as Viserys' first-born living son. When Viserys reminded her of the Widow's Law passed by his grandfather Jaehaerys, that children of a second wife cannot take the inheritance of the first-born child of the first wife, Alicent reiterated that didn't apply to women, to which Viserys retorted when Jaehaerys made the law, he didn't specify it by gender.

When Alicent tried to offer the solution of marrying Aegon to Rhaenyra in Targaryen custom, Viserys also refused her, stating that Aegon was only two (which he was at the time Alicent made the suggestion), and Rhaenyra was ten years his senior. When Alicent pointed out that Viserys was eleven years her senior when they married, he pointed out that when they got married, she was still at an age where she could have children. If Rhaenyra had to wait for Aegon to come of age before they could consummate their marriage, she would be reaching the point of being past her child-bearing years, and as Queen she needs heirs, and after bringing up once again that pushing him on this was the reason her father was sent back to Oldtown, the Queen stopped pushing the matter.

Now she decided to take things into her own hands.

She was led to her husband's chambers, her presence was announced, and she asked if they could speak in private. Viserys sent the servants away when he saw the distressed look on his wife's face. "My love, it troubles me to bring this news to you," She said and Viserys raised an eyebrow.

"What troubles you?" He asked.

"One of my trusted advisors came to me saying they heard disturbing news about the Princess," Alicent said. At the mention of his daughter, and he knew she was speaking about Rhaenyra, he sat up a bit straighter in his seat.

"What about my daughter?" Viserys asked.

"I am told that she was seen in Flea Bottom... coupling with Daemon," Alicent said.

"Who did you hear this from?" Viserys asked.

"By an advisor that I trust," Alicent said and she refused to say more.

"You expect me to believe this?" Viserys asked. He knew that Alicent would do or say anything to get him to disinherit Rhaenyra and name Aegon as his successor instead, and Viserys was getting tired of it.

"I am not sure what to believe myself. Rhaenyra is but a child, but Daemon should know better," Alicent said. Viserys took a long, hard look at his wife, trying to see if something in her emotions would give her away, but Alicent remained steadfast.