v. alana (112 AC)

Over the next year, things had changed drastically in the Red Keep

Over the next year, things had changed drastically in the Red Keep. Criston Cole was no longer Princess Rhaenyra's sworn protector, but instead, the sworn protector to Queen Alicent. Nobody knows what caused him to switch from the Princess to the Queen, but there were rumors surrounding what the reasons could have been.

Some speculated that Criston had tried to make an advance on the Princess and she rejected him. Many people recalled the words of Queen Alicent when Princess Rhaenyra was seven and Criston first became her protector, "Ser Criston protects the Princess from her enemies, but who protects the Princess from Ser Criston?" Others speculated that Princess Rhaenyra had tried to make an advance on Criston to get him to break his vows, and Criston rejected her and went to Alicent so that Rhaenyra would not attempt to seduce him again.

Nobody knew which rumor was true. The Greens believed Rhaenyra tried to seduce him. The Blacks believe Criston tried to take advantage of her. What did surprise everyone was when Criston was named Lord Commander of the Kingsguard.

Rhaenyra Targaryen was also engaged.

King Viserys had recently announced her engagement to Ser Laenor Velaryon. The only son of Princess Rhaenys and Lord Corlys. Viserys arranged for this marriage to make up for his insult of not choosing Laena as his wife. This satisfied Corlys because his blood would still end up on the Iron Throne.

But neither Rhaenyra nor Laenor were happy with this decision.

Everyone, meaning Rhaenyra, Alana, Laenor, Laena, and the siblings' parents knew that Laenor did not prefer the company of women. All of the cousins were close, they were friends and family, and they loved each other. Rhaenyra and Laenor knew they didn't want to marry each other, but she knew she had to make the best of the situation. She knew she would do worse. Rhaenyra had called her cousins to her room and dismissed the servants so they could speak freely.

"I have thought of an idea," Rhaenyra said. The sixteen-year-old Princess clapped her hands together with a smile on her face. Laena Velaryon, the eldest of the group at 20, raised an eyebrow. Laenor, 19, was curious to know what she was going to say. Alana, the same age as Rhaenyra, was also intrigued.

"About?" Alana asked.

"Marriage," Rhaenyra said.

"You do know that neither of our fathers will let either of you back out of this, yes?" Laena said. Rhaenyra and Laenor rolled their eyes.

"Yes, I know. I am not trying to back out of it. I know that I can do far worse than Laenor. I have just come to a solution that should satisfy us both," Rhaenyra said.

"I am listening," Laenor said.

"We carry on as normal. To the Kingdom, we will be married, but I know that you do not want to bed me, nor would I force you to. You may have your paramours, and I shall have mine. And we will both be discreet and not bring shame on one another. You are my cousin, Laenor, my dear friend, we are both being forced into this arrangement, but that does not mean we have to be miserable," Rhaenyra said. Laena and Alana both smiled.