The Ghost of Christmas Past

Music has always stirred something inside me; it's the lifeblood that carries me through each day and gives my world meaning. I still remember the first time my fingers floated over the keys on a piano, my body was delighted when I pressed my fingers down, and I realized I could bring musical notes to life -there was no turning back; I had found my purpose.

Alas, this love of music is how I landed here, as an adult, playing jazz piano in a mostly deserted hotel bar on Christmas Eve. To many, this may seem like a sad state of affairs, but for me, it's a way of life. Working here provides me with a meager but steady income while doing something I love, and I can't say I know too many people that get to follow their passion every day, even if it happens to mean I have to work on an occasional holiday.

The hotel I work at is situated in the middle of the bustling city that's open 24/7, usually, even at two am, I have customers meandering in and out of the bar, stopping in for a drink and a bite to eat, listening to me play for them, before they slink off to another all-night destination. However, tonight is different, the usual crowd seems to be non-existent. As my fingers glide across the ivory and black piano keys, I imagine people are at home with their loved ones for the holidays.

My family lives a great distance away; I moved to the city to pursue music, so it feels like a relief to have been able to volunteer for this shift so I don't have to dwell on spending the holidays alone. I'm not particularly religious, but I do love to visit with friends and family when I can get back home for a holiday visit.

"Here! Tonight we break all the rules," my boss smiles when she places a glass of wine down on the piano for me. "Thanks again for coming in tonight."

"Awe, thank you so much!" I say into the microphone, and we chuckle as it echoes around the empty room.

My boss is sweet and volunteered to tend the bar herself, so none of the other staff had to take the shift. She knew we wouldn't have a crowd, having worked at the hotel for several years.

Usually, I just play the piano, but since nobody is here, I decide to be completely indulgent and do whatever I want. I take a long sip of wine, the fruity notes dancing across my palate, and then break into a rendition of Etta James, I'd Rather Go Blind, the words falling off my lips as I sway back and forth on the piano bench while channeling my inner bluesy goddess.

I close my eyes and let my hands dance across the keys, enjoying this moment of bliss to be free, and when I finally open them, I notice a gorgeous man with the most genuine smile dancing quietly around the deserted dance floor. He's dressed in a pair of light brown trousers and a crisp button-down shirt. The sleeves are rolled up to his elbows, and a few buttons are undone, displaying the slightest bit of honey-kissed skin near his sleek neckline. His dark eyes gleam with amusement when he sees I've noticed him, and he nods in my direction as he turns his body in a circle, his hips swaying with the music. Something about his aurora immediately reminds me of an old jazz crooner trapped in the soul of this youthful beauty, and it makes my heart quicken inside my chest.

He shuffles around with abandon, and it takes all of me to concentrate on singing again as I start the next verse. The mystery man rakes his hands through his perfectly styled dark mop of hair, the subtle waves fall effortlessly back into place, and he seems so joyful that I can't help but beam at him.

When the song ends, he claps, bows his head slightly, and then heads to the bar. I notice my boss places not only a glass of wine but a cola and a glass of water in front of the handsome man, and his unconventional order makes me chuckle -which, if I'm being honest, only makes this lone guest even more intriguing.

I begin another song, this time just piano. I can see Mr. Handsome swaying back and forth in his seat. It's such a thrill to have someone in the room that seems to love the music as much as I do. I watch out of the corner of my eye as he chats briefly with my boss, and then he glides across the room with his wine in hand, and I'm amused when he comes to a halt near me.