Chapter 10 - Exchange

We are the last ones to arrive at the Curtis house, and when I mean "we" I mean me. Soda had the brilliant idea of going through the back door so one would see the presents we got.
"Where's Sodapop?" Steve asks as I walk inside. "Didn't he go with you?"

"He went through the back door, didn't want you guys to see the presents," I explain.
"Yup, that's Soda," Two-bit chuckles. I roll my eyes, taking a seat next to Johnny on the couch. Most people in the room look so happy.

Mr. and Mrs. Curtis are back and fussing around in the kitchen with Darry at their heels. Steve and Dally play cards, though the latter looks ready to burn the game. Pony sits on the couch reading a book. And Two looks exactly how we left him, sitting in front of the TV, his jaw agape. Did he even leave?

I focus my attention on the TV as we wait for Soda. He seems to take hours before he creeps into the room, sneakily placing the two gifts under the tabletop Christmas tree. But no one notices him till he trips over his own feet and lands in the middle of the floor on his face, narrowly missing the coffee table.

"Ooh, did you hurt your face?" Steve snickers, looking over at his best friend from where he sits a few feet away. My initial shock is quickly transformed into a chorus of suppressed giggles. How can I not laugh at the (let's face it) most handsome guy in the room falling flat on his face? Plus, Steve's comment didn't do anything but make the situation funnier.

"Soda!" Mrs. Curtis exclaims, running out of the kitchen and dusting her hands off on her apron. "Are you okay, sweetie?" She asks, helping him up. Soda looks at her for a second before bursting out into laughter. Typically happy-go-lucky Soda. Mrs. Curtis rolls her eyes, removing her dish towel she lightly hits him with it before walking away. The whole room is laughing now, even Dally.

Soda's mood truly is contagious, it spreads like wildfire.

Once Two-bit settles down, he scrambles over to the tree and picks up the first one he sees.
"This one's for-," He says, picking up one of the gifts Soda just put down. "Pony."
Ponyboy looks over his book, just in time to catch the gift Two throws at him. He carefully examines the newspaper rapping, opens it, examines the book, and smiles.

"Soda or Winnie." He says simply.
"You can only guess one name." Soda says, falling on the couch next to me and Johnny.
"Fine, Winnie." He says. I nod. Pony thanks me then stands up and throws a box at Dally. Dally opens his gift with a scowl, but I swear when he sees it he smiles. A pack of cigarettes. He doesn't even guess who gave it to him, instead, he just grabs a gift and throws it at Soda, who unwraps it like if he doesn't do it in time it will disappear. A black and white flannel.

"Thanks, Johnnycake." He says.
"How did-" Johnny starts to say before Soda cuts him off.
"Saw your paper before we left."
Johnny smiles sheepishly, watching as Soda stands, grabs another gift, and hands it to me. It's not even wrapped, it just has a piece of paper with my name on it, stuck to its glass surface. A bottle of coke.

"Thanks, Dallas," I say, honestly surprised he got me anything at all. He just nods. I stand, grab the gift Soda and I got for Steve and deposit it on his lap. Steve looks at it for a split second before tearing the gift open and holding it up for the world to see. A denim vest. Steve looks at Soda, then at me, then back to Soda. He cocks an eyebrow, almost questioning if the gift is from him or not. Then he says,
"Thank you."

The others open their gifts, honestly, nothing all too exciting, just what we could afford. We have dinner, watch some TV, then start to settle down for what will surely be a long night. Every boy, excluding Dallas, insisted I sleep on the couch. I just ended up curling into a ball on the armchair. Johnny and Two-bit took the couch, Dallas the floor because he's "tough", and Steve the armchair next to me.

I am half asleep, listening to the boys talk in hushed voices. Someone covers me with a blanket before brushing a loose strand of hair behind my ear. They must think I'm asleep. Two-bit laughs loudly before Steve shushes him. Further confirming my theory.

"You'll wake her up!" Steve says in a quiet hiss.
"Why do you care?" Dally mumbles. I hear something shuffle, but Steve doesn't say anything in response. My mind reels on the subject. Why does Steve care if I wake up or not? I mean, knowing these boys, they'll probably blow a siren in my face in the morning or late tonight.

Although I want the question to slip through my brain, it doesn't. When sleepiness finally consumes me, I'm restless. But when I wake up, I'm greeted by a plate of eggs and sausage.
"Morning." Soda says sleepily but still full of energy. Ok, so not how I was imagining these boys would wake me up.
"Thanks," I say, accepting the plate. Soda smiles, taking a seat next to me, his breakfast consisting of eggs and grape jelly.
"Don't knock it till you try it." He says, catching my gaze.

I chuckle, turning my attention back to my breakfast and watching as the other boys wake, get breakfast, then come back. Eventually, Mr. Curtis comes into the living room and looks around at all of us.
"Don't you have work in a half hour Pepsi-Cola?" He asks. I look down at Soda, my mouth full of eggs, and realize he is wearing his sky-blue DX shirt, along with Steve.

Soda looks at Steve and Steve looks at Soda before they spring to their feet. Mr. Curtis chuckles, looking over at me.
"Need a ride home?" He asks with a smile.
"That would be great, thanks," I say. Sodapop appears in the kitchen doorway holding a pair of shoes and says,
"She's coming to the DX with us, dad."

Mr. Curtis looks at me and I shrug. Honestly, I don't mind going to the DX or going home. Christmas isn't for a few days anyway. Mr. Curtis chuckles before looking up and out the window, his face lifts into a smile. I follow his gaze and gasp. I haven't seen the substance since we left Grafton.

Snow...