Chapter 13 - Don't Be Stupid

The whole gang sat around a table in the Dingo. We had to pull up two extra chairs so we could all sit down, but it was worth it. Some song by Elvis played on the jukebox, and waitresses glided around the checkered floor on roller skates. Two-bit kept looking at one, a pretty blonde. No one seemed to notice, though.

The owner of the diner was about fed up with Dally. He had to come over to our table several times to tell him to quit smoking. But he didn't listen. And I don't know how Pony and Johnny got away with it, but whenever Darry wasn't looking, they would blow their straw wrappers at the poor waitresses. I felt bad, but I was too nervous to say anything, we were just having fun after all.

Two was in the middle of telling about one of his exploits when the bell above the door rang and in walked a group of socs. The Dingo was in greaser territory. It was a rough hangout, even for us. According to Pony, there was always a fight going on, and a few years ago, a girl got shot. So I couldn't for the life of me find out why they were here. Until it dawned on me. The socs just liked to mess with greasers, no rhyme or reason for it.

"Hey, greasers." One of the socs sneered, and he and his friends made their way to our table. The gang all tensed up a bit, but still, put up a tough front.
"How's it going?" I whipped around at the new voice. It was Bob Sheldon. In all honesty, I started avoiding him, Marcia, Cherry, and Randy as much as I could around school. I still talk to them on occasion but when it comes to Bob, I turn and run.

Bob glares at me for a long time, and I glare back. I can feel the gang's eyes on the back of my head the whole time.
"What do you want?" I finally say after the silence became too much to bear.
"I want to talk to you." He says. I groan, I've learned nothing good ever comes out of talking to Bob Sheldon. But I'm not the type of person that will not hear what he has to say.

I stand from my seat but Steve catches my arm.
"Don't do anything stupid until I get back." I hiss, pulling from his grip and shoving my fists in my jacket pockets. I follow Bob outside and lean against the brick wall. The winter air, pushes my hair off my face, highlighting my scowl.
"You gotta stop hanging out with them." He says, getting right to the point.

"Why?" I shoot back.
"They're greasers. You're a soc."
"No, I'm not."
"So you're a greaser?" He asks bewildered.
"No," I say simply. Bob looks at me with the stupidest expression, I almost want to laugh.
"So what are you?" He asks, sticking his thumbs in his pockets.
"Me." I push myself off the wall, walking back into the Dingo before Bob can stop me.

I almost wish he did. The door closes behind me and my jaw drops. Darry is holding a soc up in the air. Johnny and Pony hang off one like monkeys. Dallas is trying to take on three at once. Soda is jumping off the walls, punching, and kicking whatever soc he can, along with Steve. And Two-bit stands at the jukebox flipping through songs. So much for not doing anything stupid...

"That was real stupid, Sodapop Patrick Curtis." Mrs. Curtis scolds from where she fusses over Soda at the kitchen table. I can hear them from the kitchen, where I fumble with an ice pack for Steve.
"Ow! Ma!" Soda hisses.
"Mom, they were talking bad about Winnie." Darry puts in.
"I don't wanna hear it, Darrel." She sighs. "I'm glad you stood up for your friend, but there are better ways to go about these kinds of things."

"She's right," I say, stepping into the living room and handing the ice pack to Steve.
"Thank you." Mrs. Curtis says. Even though she's yelling, she still manages to sound soft and sweet.
"So we were supposed to let them say all that stuff about her?" Ponyboy asks, rubbing his ribs where a soc punched him.
"Yes." Me and Mrs. Curtis say in sync as if it's the most obvious thing in the world.

Pony pouts, dropping onto the couch beside Johnny. I sigh.
"Look, guys. I appreciate your help but I don't need you to fight my battles for me."
"So we did all that for nothing?" Dally asks. I glare at him, his comment soon becoming forgotten.

The phone rings and Mr. Curtis goes to answer it as Mrs. Curtis says.
"Boys, next time think before you dive head-first into a fight."
"Alright." Soda gives in.
"They still weren't being respectful," Darry mutters. Again, I sigh. I love the gang, but starting a fight in the middle of the Dingo. Seriously, can they be any less mature?

"Winnie, the phone is for you." Mr. Curtis calls. I shake my head, looking over the boys before I go to take the phone from him.
"Hello?" I say.
"Hey, Win." Dad's voice says in my ear.
"Hi, dad," I reply.
"I hope you're on your way home soon." He says. "I'm just about to start dinner."

"Yep, I'm just about to leave," I say.
"You know, you can bring them over for dinner." He says. "It would be nice to have some company." I groan.
"Dad, I don't know if they would want to," I say.
"Well, ask. I'll see you in a bit." He says, hanging up the phone.

I hang up the phone, turning on my heel, only to find the all gang's eyes on me.
"What?" I ask.
"Would want to what?" Two-bit echoes. I sigh.
"My dad wants you guys to come over for dinner."
"Count me in." Soda says, hopping up from his chair. "If- if that's okay with you." He adds after his mother glares at him.

"You guys can come if you want to," I say, picking up my jean jacket and sliding it on. I glance at my watch and add. "But I'm leaving now."
Soda, Steve, Two-bit, and Pony spring to my side. That works. And I know three of them are just going to see a dog, and one is going to see a girl called "Ruth".

The second we walk into the house, Bubba is all over the boys. He jumps on their feet, wagging his tail, and barking excitedly.
"Stealing my dog now, are we?" Ruth appears in the doorway, her arms crossed. Nobody answers her because they are too distracted by Bubba. Suddenly her face turns as red as her hair as her pale eyes land on Pony. She quickly ducks around the corner.

I can't help but chuckle, retreating to the living room, the others following me. Soda and Pony sit in the middle of the ground, letting Bubba jump all over them. Steve sits on the couch, seemingly lost in thought. And Two-bit being Two-bit starts digging around my father's record collection.

I can smell dad's cooking. He's a really good cook by the way. And honestly, I can't believe part of the gang is in my house. I mean, we've only ever hung out at the Curtis home, the Dingo, or the DX, together. So it's bizarre.

My house is nothing like the Curtis house. It's quiet, with only a light chatter or music from the record player in the living room. The walls aren't covered in family pictures and the shelves didn't possess knick-knacks. The furniture isn't as worn as the Curtis's is. The house just seems old and empty in a way. Not lived in the way the Curtis house is.

But it's nice to be here for a change. Not just in my house but in Tulsa as well. It feels like home here, more than North Dakota ever did. I've made a lot of friends here, well more or less. School is still as terrible as ever. But with my friends at my side, it's bearable. I swear these people are like my family.

There's Soda who understands everyone. I think he's definitely my best friend. There's Two-bit who can make a joke out of anything. My saving grace at school. There's Ponyboy who loves to read and write. He's still young, but I hope he keeps his youthful spirit for a long time. Darry's hard and firm, but he uses his head. He's not afraid to stand up for those he loves.

I don't think I'll ever be able to understand Dally. He's tougher and meaner than the rest of the gang, not to mention he hates me. But that's just how he is, maybe he'll come around one of these days. Poor Johnny, I wish there was something I could do for the kid. I don't think I've heard him speak. But he's got a big heart, that much I know.

And finally Steve, my second best friend, and guardian angel. He seems to understand me, although I don't understand him. But I think that's enough. I know I can always count on him. That goes for the rest of the gang too. They'll always have my back and I'll always have theirs.