xliii. Sleepless in Beacon Hills

(vol ii

(vol ii.)—
FORTY THREE: SLEEPLESS IN BEACON HILLS

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

"IS THERE A reason you have been humming Invisible String all night?"

Sarah pauses, fingers going still midway through turning the page of the comic book she'd swiped from Isaac's backpack, and lifts a cautious brow as she looks at her best friends. Sami's looking at her expectantly, no longer interested in whatever article about whatever celebrity he'd been reading on his phone, as he awaits her response to Darcy's question, as if he'd only just noticed it, himself. Sarah fights the urge to roll her eyes and snaps the comic closed a little too quickly, tossing it onto the floor beside the air mattress that she and Darcy are currently sitting cross-legged on.

"I don't know," she lies. "I just... like this song."

Except, she does know. How could she not? It's been stuck in her head for hours, ever since leaving the privacy of the basement at what's-his-name's house, ever since separating from Isaac a little too soon for either of their liking and meandering back to their mutual friends like nothing had happened.

Of course, something had happened. Twice.

Something being the way her fingers combed his hair, the way he'd pulled her closer by her hips, the way she'd clung onto his neck so fiercely because any distance left between them was too much distance. The way... the way their lips touched. The way they could hear nothing but the beating of their too-excited hearts and the breaths they'd shared between kisses and—

And that song. The one she hasn't been able to stop humming over the past few hours, because that something is the only thing on her mind, and the song is associated with it.

"I like the song, too," Darcy mumbles, staring blandly at her nails and the chipping black polish that coats them. Then, with a suspicious glance tossed in Sarah's direction, "but you don't hear me humming it all night out of nowhere."

She shuffles uncomfortably under the look; she knows she's never been very good at hiding things from her friends, especially Darcy, who's typically annoyingly good at piecing together whenever someone is lying to her. Still, Sarah has no desire to tell anyone about the kisses she'd shared with Isaac. Not yet. For now, she just wants it to be theirs. She knows the second she mentions anything about it to either of them, she'll never hear the end of it, of the questions and comments and I knew he liked you's they'll surely throw at her. When that happens, it won't just be a moment she'd shared with someone close to her; it'll be everyone's business. She doesn't want that.